Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-29-2004, 08:08 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Anthias

I am having some difficulty identifying what my Anthias have (they are in QT). I think it's velvet because I have seen one rubbing and they both have rubbing marks and thin white coating. Here's the thing that throws me off. They both have one eye each that is bulging and hazy. Is this a normal process for morphing (changing sex), or is it an external parasite? My Naso (in my main) has small tiny white dots (she was QT'd 1st, obvouisly I didn't wait long enough and I used the same water to QT the anthias since it was already cycled.) The Naso doesn't rub but she's much less active and the spots stay the same nomatter how she goes to the cleaning station. Don't know if it's related, but I am really puzzled to what the anthias have and if my Naso is sick.

150 gallon, 30g fuge/sump, 4.5 watt/gal VHO Lighting, 4" sand bed, 290 lbs LR, CDX-3 Nitrate/Phosphate filter

Female Naso "Isabell" or "Izzy", Emperor Angelfish, Flame Angel, Red Sea Sailfin tang "Bambi", Maroon Clown "Nani", 5 Chromis, 1 Aglae Blenny "Bengi" , Yellow Watchman Goby, pr of Banggai Cardinals, Lyretail Anthia, Six Line Wrasse

1 cleaner shrimp, Coral Banded Shrimp, lettuce nudibranch, 1 sand sifter stars, 1 tiny red brittle star "red", 1 tiny red and white banded serpent star, 2 tiny banded serpent stars, small orange Linkia starfish, assorted hermits and snails. Corals: star polyps, A ton of different types of mushrooms, yellow zooanthids, brown-orangish and light blue paly's, orange ricordia.

90g RR, W/D, 120 lb's LR SF eel, pygmy angel, pr sebae clownfish, 4 chromis. Star Polyps & Mushrooms
clowninround is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2004, 10:09 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Well, I just lost the Naso . I really really hate that about this hobby. I got her into QT because she was on the bottom of my tank just struggling, and I acclimated her into the QT and not long after she died on me. I really loved that fish and don't know where to go from here. I have a tank full of other fish and the QT with the Anthias. I have a 29g rubbermaid I can put them (the fish from the main) in. But should I? Any thoughts?

150 gallon, 30g fuge/sump, 4.5 watt/gal VHO Lighting, 4" sand bed, 290 lbs LR, CDX-3 Nitrate/Phosphate filter

Female Naso "Isabell" or "Izzy", Emperor Angelfish, Flame Angel, Red Sea Sailfin tang "Bambi", Maroon Clown "Nani", 5 Chromis, 1 Aglae Blenny "Bengi" , Yellow Watchman Goby, pr of Banggai Cardinals, Lyretail Anthia, Six Line Wrasse

1 cleaner shrimp, Coral Banded Shrimp, lettuce nudibranch, 1 sand sifter stars, 1 tiny red brittle star "red", 1 tiny red and white banded serpent star, 2 tiny banded serpent stars, small orange Linkia starfish, assorted hermits and snails. Corals: star polyps, A ton of different types of mushrooms, yellow zooanthids, brown-orangish and light blue paly's, orange ricordia.

90g RR, W/D, 120 lb's LR SF eel, pygmy angel, pr sebae clownfish, 4 chromis. Star Polyps & Mushrooms
Old 11-29-2004, 10:40 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to quarryshark
Mary,
I am so sorry for all these problem. Never had an anthia, but cloudy eyes is a sign of some sort of ailment and from what you describe, I would suspect velvet or some other parasite. The eye injury is most likely a result of flashing. I would go ahead and treat with cupramine IMO.
As for the others, you could play the wait and see, but you know how that can go.
I would get prepared for moving, but one problem you have is the Manderin cannot be treated with copper. If it looks like ich, you may want to go with hypo.
Once again...so sorry.
Old 11-30-2004, 03:07 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Ok, I noticed the blenny has considerable rythmic movement in his belly, it also looks a bit protruded. It almost looks like something crawling around inside him. Thought I'd give it a mention. But since it's so rythimic I thought it could be heavy breathing??? Also will formalin baths be benificial if the anthias do have velvet or should I just treat with copper and leave it at that?

Old 11-30-2004, 05:59 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

I would just treat with copper and leave it at that. The blenny and mandarin are copper sensative, maybe you could treat them is a separate container with hypo.
Old 11-30-2004, 06:51 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Yep, definately gotta pull them all. My beloved clown has some white dots now and seems to be fading along his stripes. : (

Old 11-30-2004, 09:02 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

You will need to keep the main aquarium fish free for a minimum of 3 weeks to ensure the entire parasite population has died off. This will be the only way to be safe without medicating the display tank.

I would suggest that in your setting, especially knowing that you can not medicate in a reef tank, you should quarantine for at least 3 weeks for each new addition.
Old 11-30-2004, 09:09 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
You will need to keep the main aquarium fish free for a minimum of 3 weeks to ensure the entire parasite population has died off. This will be the only way to be safe without medicating the display tank
Sorry, not enough time, 6 weeks would be much better.
Old 12-01-2004, 12:16 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Yes, 45 days for me, got it marked off on my calendar. Hope all goes well. Thats a lot of time for things to go wrong. Small quarters for my fish, especailly with copper kind of makes me nervous. There is a good side though. I am off for christmas break for most of it (4 weeks) and also I decided to go with some more LR and if by some chance the mantis make it threw the dip I have a chance to get em outta there before I put in my fish .

Old 12-01-2004, 12:46 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Cool, good luck!!! Maybe you ,me and robocop will all come through this clean.

Tags
anthias

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com