Anthias

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

clowninround

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I am having some difficulty identifying what my Anthias have (they are in QT). I think it's velvet because I have seen one rubbing and they both have rubbing marks and thin white coating. Here's the thing that throws me off. They both have one eye each that is bulging and hazy. Is this a normal process for morphing (changing sex), or is it an external parasite? My Naso (in my main) has small tiny white dots (she was QT'd 1st, obvouisly I didn't wait long enough and I used the same water to QT the anthias since it was already cycled.) The Naso doesn't rub but she's much less active and the spots stay the same nomatter how she goes to the cleaning station. Don't know if it's related, but I am really puzzled to what the anthias have and if my Naso is sick.

Well, I just lost the Naso :( . I really really hate that about this hobby. I got her into QT because she was on the bottom of my tank just struggling, and I acclimated her into the QT and not long after she died on me. I really loved that fish and don't know where to go from here. I have a tank full of other fish and the QT with the Anthias. I have a 29g rubbermaid I can put them (the fish from the main) in. But should I? Any thoughts?

Mary,
I am so sorry for all these problem. Never had an anthia, but cloudy eyes is a sign of some sort of ailment and from what you describe, I would suspect velvet or some other parasite. The eye injury is most likely a result of flashing. I would go ahead and treat with cupramine IMO.
As for the others, you could play the wait and see, but you know how that can go. :roll:
I would get prepared for moving, but one problem you have is the Manderin cannot be treated with copper. If it looks like ich, you may want to go with hypo.
Once again...so sorry. :(

Ok, I noticed the blenny has considerable rythmic movement in his belly, it also looks a bit protruded. It almost looks like something crawling around inside him. Thought I'd give it a mention. But since it's so rythimic I thought it could be heavy breathing??? Also will formalin baths be benificial if the anthias do have velvet or should I just treat with copper and leave it at that?

I would just treat with copper and leave it at that. The blenny and mandarin are copper sensative, maybe you could treat them is a separate container with hypo.

Yep, definately gotta pull them all. My beloved clown has some white dots now and seems to be fading along his stripes. : (

You will need to keep the main aquarium fish free for a minimum of 3 weeks to ensure the entire parasite population has died off. This will be the only way to be safe without medicating the display tank.

I would suggest that in your setting, especially knowing that you can not medicate in a reef tank, you should quarantine for at least 3 weeks for each new addition.

You will need to keep the main aquarium fish free for a minimum of 3 weeks to ensure the entire parasite population has died off. This will be the only way to be safe without medicating the display tank
Sorry, not enough time, 6 weeks would be much better.

Yes, 45 days for me, got it marked off on my calendar. Hope all goes well. Thats a lot of time for things to go wrong. Small quarters for my fish, especailly with copper kind of makes me nervous. There is a good side though. I am off for christmas break for most of it (4 weeks) and also I decided to go with some more LR and if by some chance the mantis make it threw the dip I have a chance to get em outta there before I put in my fish :wink: .

Cool, good luck!!! Maybe you ,me and robocop will all come through this clean. :wink:

Thats what I am hoping. I am wishing you luck too, it is a real pain, but man do I love those lil guys! I know you do to. We'll get threw is. Hey, I may be emailing you here soon about this LR, like where to buy a mantis trap if the problem should arise (I am assuming so because I am going to get anywhere from 100-150lb's depending on what they have in stock). So excited cuz I'll get to hand pick it, how much better can it get?

You lucky Floridians. 8)
Wish I could hand pick mine. I was considering another 40-60 lbs myself.
I can loan you my trap (as soon as I catch the crab I am after now). I had to catch a mantis from my last batch. The little guy is now on display at my LFS's front counter, in his own nano. :) Got his own condo now. :lol:

Back
Top Bottom