Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-16-2012, 01:09 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Anthias help!!

I have my anthias for about a month now everything has been fine until I added a fire shrimp. He has been active now he just hides behind the rocks. Just did a water change hopefully he will be better. Test water everything was fine before water change. Please help thanks

Old 06-16-2012, 12:25 PM   #2
Dividing by 0
Community Admin

POTM Champion

What kind of anthias?

What size tank?

How often are you feeding?

What are the other tank mates?

fort384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 12:31 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

Not quite sure here's a picture. It's a 75 gal feed once a day and I have two damsels, blue headed wrasse, yellow tang, fire shrimp and two blennies. And some snails and hermit crabs.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20120616_113008.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	41.6 KB
ID:	100771
Old 06-16-2012, 12:40 PM   #4
Dividing by 0
Community Admin

POTM Champion

I can't tell for sure from the pic, but most anthias species prefer to be kept in at least small groups. You could have an issue being that you have some aggressive fish in with it and only 1 anthias.
fort384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 12:43 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular

Thank you I want to get rid of the damsels. I want a reef and fish tank. The damsels were given to me with the tank.
Old 06-16-2012, 12:45 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I agree, he might not feel safe without the safety of numbers. How long has the tang and damsels been in the tank? Those guys can be on the mean side, specially the damsels. I know my yellow tang harasses most fish i add for a while so he could be making the anthias uncomfortable as well.

Maybe changing some liverock around would help? And keeping the whites off for a bit maybe? thats what i did with my squareback anthias, he was super scared and all he did was hide behind the rocks. I kept the lights on blues for a longer period of time each day and after a week or so he started coming out more.
Old 06-16-2012, 12:50 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Regular

Thank you. He was fine for three weeks he was the last fish I added. I added a fire shrimp and he did a 180 now he just hides now. I want to get rid of the damsels.
Old 06-16-2012, 12:53 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I bet if you got rid of the damsels you'd see some differences in the fish you have. Those damsels can just terrorize a tank and fish. lol I've been lucky, I have never owned one damsel lol.

There has to be something that spooked the anthias since he was ok for a few weeks. Could have been a run in with the damsels or the tang. Kinda hard to tell. I'm almost 100% sure that the shrimp being added isnt the reason he took to the rocks. lol
Old 06-16-2012, 12:58 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Regular

Oh thank you some much. I am going to work on getting them out today. I don't like seeing my anthias hide.
Old 06-16-2012, 01:05 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

My two anthias are probably more active than my tangs in reality, and they make the tank look awesome with how much they swim around.

Not sure what kind of anthias you have but I know mine need to be fed at least twice a day. I feed 2-3 times a day a small amount of food each time. Thats another question, what is yours eating? My female anthias will only eat frozen while the male will eat anything. lol Might be getting low on the energy meter as well, just another thought to throw out there.

Tags
anthias

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com