antibiotic treatment question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ryshark

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have a powder brown tang in QT. I purchased him on Tuesday saw him flashing so decided to do hyposalinity treatment right away since the pbt is such an "ich magnet" anyway. I just got down to 1.009 today. I few days ago i noticed white things hanging off the mouth of the fish. Also there are a couple on the body of the fish. They look too big to be ich. I am thinking some kind of fungus. ( I will get a picture on here later) My question is can I treat with some type of antibiotic while the fish is at 1.009? If so please keep in mind that I am adding some Marine Buffer to help maintain the PH and also some Amquel+ along with frequent partial water changes to keep ammonia level in check. I am reading about .25 ammonia thats why I am using the Amquel+. My QT is only 10gallon but this pwc/amquel+ technique has worked for me in the past. I just dont know if I can add antibiotics with the other 2-chemicals. Any suggestions on what I should use to treat with? Thanks for your help.

Hypo is a pain, but worth it. I was doing 2x/day 20% pwc's to keep pH stable ammonia in check till the bio filter got established (now I keep a biowheel in the sump).

You might want to treat with Furanase which can be used to treat common infections like mouth fungus, as well as other gram-negative and gram-positive bacterial diseases.

It's harder to medicate in hypo because of all the water changes, but it can be done.

Back
Top Bottom