Any advice welcome...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gecmom

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I recently lost a black clown and coral beauty to ich. It's my first experience with it so I think I reacted too slowly. I have a 16g w/ live rock and sand, a couple of feather dusters and a handful of crabs and snails. All have been living peacefully together for about 4 months. I think the problem started when I introduced a boxfish about a month ago--he only lasted 3 days but they all seemed to get along fine. My fish guy says my water quality is good but now I have a fishless tank. I started with a reef safe ich remedy. Should I continue the treatment before adding anything new, and does anyone have any thoughts on what may have made them sick? Thanks,

Stress maybe, those three fish shouln't be in that small of a tank. Your best bet is to leave the tank fallow for at least 6-7 weeks. I would fire your fish guy too and ask around this site before you spend more money on what they want you to buy for a stock list.
By the way, a boxfish will/can nuke your tank if stressed or killed.
Also, I am not aware of a boxfish that should be in a tank smaller than a 50-70G tank (at least not off the top of my head).
How old is the tank?
What are your actual water parameters?

PH 8.0
Nitrate 0
Nitrite 0
SG 1.024
The tank is about 5 month old.
I know about the boxfish--I need to learn to say no to my seven year old! She thought it was soooo cute. The box has been gone for about 2 weeks now. Would it generally take that long for the others to get stressed out?

Oh I forgot, welcome to the site!
Your "my tanks" says an 8G tank....
I have seen fish get stressed and die within 1 day, so to answer your question, yes.
Here is a link that may give you some better stocking options:
Nano Fish

Thanks for your help. I do have an 8g with a clown and royal grammar who have been doing well for over a year. I started up the 16g about 5 months ago. Should I continue with the ich treatment while the tank is empty of fish. The snails, crabs and feather dusters are still in there. Thanks again,

I would run carbon and stop the meds, keep the tank fallow, just add a pinch of food twice a week to feed your other critters and more importantly, to keep the beneficial bacteria alive.

Back
Top Bottom