Any body with advice on ridding a tank of aiptasia?!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
since the tank is just getting set up before adding each rock to the tank inspect and shoot all nems with lemon juice or white vinegar to kill them off ,have a 5 gal bucket ready to rinse off rock before adding to tank
this would be the easiest way to be sure you killed each and every 1 of those little buggers before introducing rock

since the tank is just getting set up before adding each rock to the tank inspect and shoot all nems with lemon juice or white vinegar to kill them off ,have a 5 gal bucket ready to rinse off rock before adding to tank
this would be the easiest way to be sure you killed each and every 1 of those little buggers before introducing rock

The problem with this is it's nearly impossible to see almost all aiptasia before it has a chance to settle in the water and come back out. More often than not it grows up inside live rock and will almost completely retract when pulled out of water.

and can live rock be "live" without coralline algea on it?

Live rock refers to the bacteria that's grown on it as well as other micro organisms rather than the coralline algae that is potentially growing on it.

Get youself a peppermint shrimp it worked for me.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

somebody at the LFS said that i would have to starve the tank or something. how many do you need?

Aiptasia will outlive anything else in the tank from starvation. That's really not a viable option. I would go with probably 1 peppermint shrimp per 10 - 20 gallons or so. That should suffice.

@Mebbid- yeah they were saying that if i used peppermint shrimp then i would have to starve the tank in order to get them to eat the aiptasia. did you have any problems with any of the peppermint shrimp not eating the stuff? and are they reef safe because that is the direction i would like to go. thank everyone for helping a newbie out btw you guys rock

I have 2 in my 120cm tank and they got the lot in about a week.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom