Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-20-2005, 11:05 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Any ideas if something might be wrong?

I just put 3 damsels in my new 75 gallon tank. I've had the salt water in for about 2 weeks, and the live rock for about 10 days and tonight I added 3 damsels - 2 are blue with yellow tails and the third is a solid blue one. At first, they were all kind of quiet as can be expected with being in a new tank. Now, the 2 yellow tails are swimming around just fine, but the blue one is swimming kind of slowly, and is swimming at almost a 45 degree angle pointing upwards. He's also still really subdued and staying right along the bottom. Is there maybe wrong with him, or is he just taking a little longer to get used to his new home? I don't really know much about fish yet, so any help would be really appreciated. Thanks in advance!!!

Old 06-20-2005, 11:11 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Basically, the fish are dying. It's typical people cycle using fish. It's rather cruel.

Cycling with live fish is not necessary. The same exact thing can happen with a raw shrimp, it's called fishless cycling.

See the article below for details on fishless cycling, and return the damsels to the LFS.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/showqu...q=2&fldAuto=15

Old 06-20-2005, 11:15 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via MSN to pufferman
Your tanks is still in its cycling stage. You should test your parameters especially Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate. Their probably really bad
Tank Specs as of December 29, 2005:Ammonia:0;Nitrite: 0;Nitrate=0;Cu:0
PH: 8.3
SG: 1.028;Temp: 79-84 degrees F (Adjusts throughout the day)
pufferman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2005, 11:34 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearfan
Basically, the fish are dying. It's typical people cycle using fish. It's rather cruel.

Cycling with live fish is not necessary. The same exact thing can happen with a raw shrimp, it's called fishless cycling.

See the article below for details on fishless cycling, and return the damsels to the LFS.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/showqu...q=2&fldAuto=15
I'm just following what my local fish store has been telling me to do. I've also read in a lot of different places about Damsels being good to help with cycling.
Old 06-21-2005, 07:07 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to StripesTheEel
most tanks take at least 6 weeks to go through a proper cycle if starting from scratch.. fishless cycling has been the way to go for years now.. and i havent known anyone to use fish to cycle anymore..waste of $$$.. your blue tail damsels might look fine but if the cycle is still going they will begin to deteriorate like your other damsel.. return asap!!!
StripesTheEel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2005, 08:46 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
I'm just following what my local fish store has been telling me to do. I've also read in a lot of different places about Damsels being good to help with cycling.
Damsels used to be "the" way to cycle a tank, but now the practice is a bit outdated. You can cycle your tank just fine using the fishless method. Plus, damsels create a problem after the tank is cycled. They are aggressive fish and most people decide to get rid of them anyways. Save yourself the trouble now.
Oh, Welcome to AquariumAdvice.com!!!
Old 06-23-2005, 12:33 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Sounds like we need to recommend some better reading material for you. I recommend The Conscientious Marine aquarist by Robert Fenner and/or THe New marine aquarium: step by step setup & stocking guide by michael Paletta.
Remember the LFS is looking to make money off you, we are not and well give you lots of opinions and options, LFS usually recommends what she/he can sell you.
Old 06-23-2005, 07:21 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

I used damsels to cycle my 55 gal. They did fine and were really healthy, BUT I have recently had to take them back to the lfs because of their aggressiveness. If they are not on your stocking list, don't add them (they are really fast and it took me hours to catch the little buggers!!).

55 gal cycling. Will be FOWLR.
haus is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com