Any ideas if something might be wrong?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jazztalker

Aquarium Advice Regular
I just put 3 damsels in my new 75 gallon tank. I've had the salt water in for about 2 weeks, and the live rock for about 10 days and tonight I added 3 damsels - 2 are blue with yellow tails and the third is a solid blue one. At first, they were all kind of quiet as can be expected with being in a new tank. Now, the 2 yellow tails are swimming around just fine, but the blue one is swimming kind of slowly, and is swimming at almost a 45 degree angle pointing upwards. He's also still really subdued and staying right along the bottom. Is there maybe wrong with him, or is he just taking a little longer to get used to his new home? I don't really know much about fish yet, so any help would be really appreciated. Thanks in advance!!!

Bearfan said:
Basically, the fish are dying. It's typical people cycle using fish. It's rather cruel.

Cycling with live fish is not necessary. The same exact thing can happen with a raw shrimp, it's called fishless cycling.

See the article below for details on fishless cycling, and return the damsels to the LFS.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/showquestion.php?faq=2&fldAuto=15

I'm just following what my local fish store has been telling me to do. I've also read in a lot of different places about Damsels being good to help with cycling.

most tanks take at least 6 weeks to go through a proper cycle if starting from scratch.. fishless cycling has been the way to go for years now.. and i havent known anyone to use fish to cycle anymore..waste of $$$.. your blue tail damsels might look fine but if the cycle is still going they will begin to deteriorate like your other damsel.. return asap!!!

I'm just following what my local fish store has been telling me to do. I've also read in a lot of different places about Damsels being good to help with cycling.
Damsels used to be "the" way to cycle a tank, but now the practice is a bit outdated. You can cycle your tank just fine using the fishless method. Plus, damsels create a problem after the tank is cycled. They are aggressive fish and most people decide to get rid of them anyways. Save yourself the trouble now.
Oh, Welcome to AquariumAdvice.com!!! :smilecolros: :smilecolros: :smilecolros:

Sounds like we need to recommend some better reading material for you. I recommend The Conscientious Marine aquarist by Robert Fenner and/or THe New marine aquarium: step by step setup & stocking guide by michael Paletta.
Remember the LFS is looking to make money off you, we are not and well give you lots of opinions and options, LFS usually recommends what she/he can sell you.

I used damsels to cycle my 55 gal. They did fine and were really healthy, BUT I have recently had to take them back to the lfs because of their aggressiveness. If they are not on your stocking list, don't add them (they are really fast and it took me hours to catch the little buggers!!).

Back
Top Bottom