Anybody use "Kick-Ich"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

runway1

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Supposedly, this is a non-copper, effective treatment for ich.

http://www.northcoastmarines.com/PARASITETREAT.html

Anybody ever try this? Its approach is to..."interrupt the free swimming stage of these parasites, thereby stopping progressive infection and re infection, without the use of copper, malachite green or other chemicals known to be toxic to many aquarium inhabitants"
[/size]

I have not used it. But have read more than a few posts in the last year with poor results.
The problem is, drugs that are strong enough to kill the parasite, will kill other things in you system. If the drug is too weak to kill the inverts and corals in a system, it will likely not kill the parasite.

How are my shrimps and crabs (cleaners) in this enviornment? I mean, are they sensitive to ich as well or just the fish?

The invert are what I'm talking about. If its not strong enough to kill them (reef and invert safe) then I doubt it will kill a parasite.
I have seen quite a few failed treatment on this forum in the last year with meds such as these.

Thanks, Kurt. I was aking whether the crustacean types will be infected by ich as well.

Also, I was told for a mild case to first try:
1. Turn off my UV
2. Rasie temp from 76° to about 82°

Sound like a proper approach?

No inverts are not affected. Also the proper approach wouldbe to go ahead and nip it in the bud the first time by qt'ing all your fish and treating with Cupramine, ar Hypo. You must also leave your tank fishless (fallow) for aprox. 4 to 6 weeks. I would suggest more like 6 to 8 weeks. Sorry about your problems, most of us have been there and done that. :wink:

Thanks, Kurt. I was aking whether the crustacean types will be infected by ich as well.
Duh.. :oops: Sorry, I'm having one of those blond days (yes I am blond :roll: )
Thanks rev, for the catch.

Also, I was told for a mild case to first try:
1. Turn off my UV
2. Rasie temp from 76° to about 82°

Sound like a proper approach?
The UV may help fight it off for a while.........
All raising the temp will do is accelerate the life cycle and cause the fish to become overrun faster by the parasites.
Most likely will need to treat like the rev described.

i heard the lfs girl telll a customer that ick cant survive above 85 degrees, and to raise the temp... does this sound right?

i heard the lfs girl telll a customer that ick cant survive above 85 degrees, and to raise the temp... does this sound right?
Sorry, that is false. All 85 degrees will do is speed up the lifecycle.

I've been told the same. Person said that it would cause the spots to "fall off". Well, that's what they're supposed to do when matured. Then they rupture, multiply, reinfect and the whole cycle starts over.

I think Kurt's info is far more accurate.

I have used kick ick with no good results. Followed directions and still had ich. this was some time ago. maybe they`ve changed but it did me no good. Have a good day

I have used kick ich to good results in a reef tank. it did not harm any inverts and my ich did clear up, although you need to be sure to use it for the full 2 week cycle!

I think the heat treatment works on FW fish.

I've used kick ich. It did work, but I had to do two full treatments to get rid of all the ich. Not really worth the money when there are tried and true methods of killing the parasites. Good luck with your fish.

Back
Top Bottom