Anyone know...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Salt4Us

Aquarium Advice FINatic
how long it takes for a Giant Cup Mushroom to digest a small fish??

Fed the fish this morning, and one is missing. The male clown, first we have problems with the female breathing funny, now we can't find the male at all. The Giant Cup Mushroom looks extremely full this morning and the center where it's mouth is is protruding up and it's closed. We find no remains of anything. The sebae that the male occasionally hosted has shrunk down, where it was very full yesterday. No signs of him anywhere, not on the floor or in the fuge or under rocks, even moved some of the sand in the back wondering if he had gotten buried.

The female clown is the one that usually hosts the giant cup, quite frequently.

Really sad we can't find him anywhere :(

It would probably take a day, it is quite possible that you will never see the remains if it was eaten by the shroom. If the clown died, it is quite possible that your clean up crew has done it's job and there is nothing left to find. Do you have a cat or a dog? If it jumped fluffy or fido might have taken care of it as well.

I'm sorry for your loss. :cry:

Nope, no dog or cat. Had to take the female clown out right now, she has white spots on her again, she's in the hospital tank. Now we have to figure out what to medicate her with. Can we use Clout? I know she doesn't have scales and I don't want to hurt her any further than she already is. She didn't eat this morning, and is hiding under the Giant Cup. Well if it takes a day for the shroom then it wasn't him, that's good to know. The male was healthy and eating really well and flirting with the female yesterday. Now all we have left in the tank is our one scooter. :(

Thanks for the help, will have to post pics of the clown under the sick area.

Ok, something you said threw me a little so I went looking, I had never heard that clowns are scaleless fish, and I could find nothing to support that, please point me to the source of that info. While I was looking I went looking for recommended treatments and found very little, but I did find this, I also suggest you read some of the other Clownfish disease FAQs on this site...

WetWebMedia said:
SICK CLOWN
Dear Bob,
Recently, my true percula clown has gotten ick. Currently, he is in a 10 gallon quarantine tank, dosed with Cupramine copper. Its got a whisper
filter of adequate size, heater, a rock, one powerhead, and a 15 watt NO bulb. I have not measured the copper level, but my guess, from what I have
dosed, is around .7 or .8 PPM. He is getting better, at least it looks that way. But when I got home today, he was upside down, in the upper back corner
of the tank!!! He is still very much alive, but he is still upside down. He does still eat, but not if it is more than 2 or 3 inches below the surface.
I checked nitrate and nitrite, all fine, and I put ammonia neutralizer in daily, since I do not have a test for ammonia, and I cannot use carbon in my filter because of the copper. He will turn over, but not for very long, maybe a few seconds, then goes back to being upside down.
Question 1- Does this setup for a quarantine tank sound good?
Question 2- Could he be upside down because of the high copper levels? If not, then what?
Question 3- I have heard clowns are sensitive to copper treatments. Should I change to a different treatment, such as Clout or Rid-ick, both of
which are readily at hand?
Thanks for any help you can give, Ryan
>>
Yikes Ryan... things don't look/sound good. Do agree that Clownfishes (and other fishes that live in close association with invertebrates) are sensitive to copper... and I do hope that what you really are seeing is ich... a few other common clownfish parasite problems (e.g. Brooklynella) look similar symptomatically, but are not susceptible to copper treatment.
1) The quarantine set-up sounds okay.
2) The copper could indeed be mal-affecting the clown, but the overall stress and disease itself could account for the behavior as well.
3) Here's where I have to clobber you. Even with semi-sequestered formats of copper like Cupramine, you need to have/use a copper test kit. Re-read the products label and use instructions. It calls for a first day input of 1 ml. per ten gallons that will render a free copper reading of 0.25 ppm and a follow-up treatment at the same rate to give a reading of 0.50ppm. It has been my experience that this product will not effect a therapeutic effect unless it is at least at a 0.20 concentration or a treatment effect unless it is at a 0.30 ppm dose. Yours is way too low... in other words, the present concentration is not doing anything to treat the fish. The only way to tell how much copper (Cu++) you have in solution is a test kit.
I would NOT switch to another medication. The Cupramine can/will do "the job" if it is ich, and the other "Med.s" would likely push the fish over the edge. If the fish is still alive, do lower the specific gravity over the next two days to 1.017, raise the Cupramine concentration to at least 0.20 and keep it there (by testing, re-addition of Cupramine). Do keep your eye on ammonia levels, changing water if you don't have, or want to invest in an ammonia test kit...
You might benefit from reading the archived articles on copper use, marine fish diseases, Clownfishes on my wetwebmedia.com website. It's free. Bob Fenner

http://www.wetwebmedia.com/clndisfaqs.htm

Back
Top Bottom