Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-02-2004, 11:37 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Apitaisa outbreaks remedy

Is this Copper Banded Butterfly Fish a good eater of this stuff or does it just eat worms?

Old 02-02-2004, 11:57 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to jamal-188
IMO I wouldn't add a butterfuly or any other animal just to solve a problem thta is caused by something else. Numerous people have used a product called Joe's Juice with great success.

Old 02-03-2004, 12:12 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

I added 2 peppermint shrimp recently with hopes they would work on my aiptasia. I had a huge one that I figured I would have to take care of manually for sure but it dissappeared.

The peppermints did their job
Old 02-03-2004, 12:17 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to jamal-188
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellisz
I added 2 peppermint shrimp recently with hopes they would work on my aiptasia. I had a huge one that I figured I would have to take care of manually for sure but it dissappeared.

The peppermints did their job
Adding a few peppermints could be a good idea, I just personally wouldn't add a copperband just to remedy another problem. Copperbands can be a pretty tough fish to keep.
Old 02-03-2004, 01:58 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via ICQ to Gauge Send a message via Yahoo to Gauge
Yeah, peppermints are the best solution imo. They are easy to keep after the aiptasia is gone, and they're really inexpensive.

92-gallon corner tank, 100lbs of LR, 140lbs of sand, 250watt 10,000K MH, 110watts of actinic PCs, Mag 7 return, custom refugium, AquaC EV180 w/ Mag 5

Female lyretail anthias, eyelash blenny, tomato clown, saddleback clown, firefish goby, 2 sand-sifting stars
Gauge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2004, 02:10 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via MSN to Brisc0
The other "easy" way is to get some aquastick underwater epoxy and cemet them into the rock.

-105G SPS Reef with 30G Sump/Fuge Combo
-30G LTAnemonarium with mated porcelain crabs, 10 sexy shrimp, and 2 pink skunks all tied into the other 135G in my system.
Brisc0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2004, 11:15 AM   #7
steve-s

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamal-188
Numerous people have used a product called Joe's Juice with great success.

Joes's Juice

Cheers
Steve
Old 02-03-2004, 09:58 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Lemon juice injections into the bugger will work wonders as well...
Old 02-04-2004, 02:09 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via Yahoo to Kiko
Copperband

I have aptasias in my tank, and got a Copperband to eat them, and b/c they are an attractive. Unfortunately, the Copperband died. It seemed really agitated, but ate well for two days, and was dead on the third. It never ate any aptasia to my knowledge. It mainly ate copepods, and picked at things on the live rock.

I have a had a hard time finding peppermint shrimp here. I have never seen a shrimp of any sort in any of our LFS stores. I have seen Coral Banded Shrimp while diving in Ka'anapali, but they have never appealed to me, nor do they eat aptasia.
Old 02-04-2004, 02:38 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

The lemon juice works well But I was told that it still spits out spores before it dies so you just make matters worse. Is this true?? I bought stop aptasias and they seemed to like the meal.. Total waste of money.. I think I am going to try the turkey baster idea and try to suck them off the rock...

Tags
api

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com