Aptasia & Cyano

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

usmcmarc

Aquarium Advice FINatic
OK...Joes Juice is the greatest...My Aptasia is gone. Thanks to all who recommended it!

Now...Just my luck, I am getting red (Maroon/Burgundy) cyano. I have read all the info on getting rid of it and will start today. But, I want some input on why it's happening.

pH = 8.3
SG = 1.023 (Refractometer)
Temp = 78-80
Ammonia = 0
Nitrite = 0
Nitrate = 0
Phos = 0
Copper = 0
Alk = 179ppm
Ca = 380 (Still cant get it over 400)
(Readings verified via 2 different kits (IO Ocean Master and API)

BioCube 29
Reef Crystals and RO/DI water.
Sapphire Aquatics Protein Skimmer
Pacific Micro Heater/Chiller
SEIO 620gph pump (For Flow)
Purigen 100ml Bag in Chamber

Current Inhabitants:
(1) Gold Stripe Maroon Clown
(1) Firefish Goby
(1) Flame Angel
(1) Maroon Linckia Star
(5) Turbo Snails, (1) Stomatella varia, (5) Nassarius, (2) tiny-turbos, (1) tiny Cerith, (1) Queen Conch
(1) Scarlet Red Hermit Crab, ( 8 ) Blue Legged Hermit Crab, (2) Orange Legged Hermit Crab, (1) Arrow Crab
(3) Fire (Blood) Shrimp
(1) Hawaiian Feather Duster
various critters from live rock (peanut & bristle worms, numerous tiny dusters, reef clams, and what look like little insects crawling around when the moon lights are on)

FOOD:

Current Feeding:

Ocean Nutrition Formula 1 Marine Pellet (Every Day)
Ocean Nutrition Formula 2 Marine Pellet (2x's a week)
Kent Marine ChromaPlex (3ml 3x's a week)
Kent Marine ZooPlex (3ml 3x's a week)
Kent Marine PhytoPlex (3ml 3x's a week)

Planned Additional feeding (Maybe 2x's a week in place of pellet food):

Freeze Dried Brine Shrimp
Freeze Dried Krill
Freeze Dried Plankton

All soaked in Selcon, Zoe and Garlic

There is only 2-4 pellets that remain in the tank after feeding (I figure the crabs, shrimp and snails will get rid of that)

Attachments

• aug29_0001_0001_103.jpg
    aug29_0001_0001_103.jpg
    6.2 KB · Views: 587
I'd probably drop all the ***Plex stuff completely and see if that doesn't help. I'll be curious to see if anyone else thinks you need it, but from what I see there's nothing in your list that needs it.

[edit: I just noticed when I was using my Selcon how many ml that dropper is. (It's only 1ml.) And then I remembered that you put in 9ml of those combined supplements, 3x a week. Yowsa. I'm thinking that's your problem. That's a lot of concentrated nutrients that are really not going anywhere. Your crabs will do just fine eating the junk that gets trapped in the sand bed and rock and don't need any supplemental feeding. And not to drift the thread or anything, but I'm thinking that freeze-dried krill - and possibly the plankton - may be too big for your fish at this point. I'd really try to work in some frozen mysis in there, but realize this is an office tank and frozen might not be an option. If it is, I'd ditch the freeze-dried and go with various frozen foods.]

I started getting it about three weeks ago. It began on the sand bed and was pretty bad. As most would recommend I reduced the amount I fed the fish to limit uneaten food, I also increased the flow to concentrate on those areas where it appeared and removed what was there during my pwc. It seemed to work as it is not coming back.

Kurt..

I was using the ***plex to feed the duster...Thought they needed that. I will stop using it.

BTW...I wasn't giving 9ml at each feeding..I mis-stated it. One day I would give 3ml of Chroma, Next day I would give 3ml of Zoo, Next day I would give 3ml of Phyto.

Can I use these for target feeding when I eventually get corals? Or did I just waste the $ on that stuff?

As for the krill and plankton..I planned on soaking it in the supplements and chopping it up.. Or should I just write those off as a loss as well?

That sucks, cause it's like $50 worth of stuff.

I can do frozen.. I'll try to find it somewhere.

I got a SEIO 620gph pump in the tank...I had to turn it to the lowest setting because it was too much. as far as I can tell there is flow just about everywhere.

usmcmarc said:
Kurt..

I was using the ***plex to feed the duster...Thought they needed that. I will stop using it. ...

Ahh... I see what you meant now about the 3ml every 3rd day now. Even so, in your size tank (29g ?), that still seems like a lot of really tiny stuff in suspension, floating around your tank.

I'm not saying to drop the ***plex feeding forever - just drop it for a couple weeks and see if that doesn't improve your cyano issue. Obviously, if it looks like your feather duster is not doing well because you've stopped, then by all means restart.

While I don't have a big feather duster like you, I have probably 50+ small ones that have sprung up since I started my tank a year ago. I've done no target feeding of them, or added any supplements for them. They just happened. The only feeding I do is for my fish (every day, and only what they can eat), and I target feed my corals at most a couple times a week. There again, I'm target feeding them and not alot goes into the water column. In addition, I've only been target feeding my corals for the last 6 months or so. From that experience, that's why I'm saying that I don't think you need those supplements. Obviously, I'm sure your feather duster likes it... but it's just a fine line to walk between keeping everyone happy and keeping your tank clean.

When you get corals, yeah... you can use all that stuff for target feeding. And really, you can still use it for your duster - just target feed it maybe once a week, and only just a little bit.

As long as you chop up the plankton/krill, that'll probably be OK. I bought some freeze dried plankton a while back to give my clown some variety. I was surprised how big it was. The other issue with freeze dried is that it seems that no matter how reconstituted it is, the stuff just won't sink. For some fish, that's OK. But for others that's problematic. My clown and cardinal fish pretty much ignore stuff on the surface.

Frozen is just the best nutritional stuff you can do. That's the only reason I mention it. Also, frozen mysis is a great all around food for everyone. They all like it, and it's nutritious. Haven't seen mysis in any other form but frozen. I think even the big chains like Petco and PetSmart carry frozen fish food.

I feed every day, alternating between frozen and dried (flake/pellet). I agree with you on the Ocean Nutrition foods - their Formula 1 and 2 seem to be really good, and my fish just love it. I alternate between frozen mysis and frozen cyclopeeze, Formula 1 pellets, Formula 2 flakes, and Prime Reef Flakes. Seems to be a good combo. Your mix of foods looks good too... I'd just go with frozen instead of freeze-dried. I think you'd be happier.

Nah.... you haven't wasted money on the food. You'll eventually use it up. Shoot... I'm afraid to count up the amount of money I've wasted on "bad purchases" since I started this hobby. We all do it!

OK..reduced lighting cycle. Reduced feeding. Took out the mainly one piece of LR that was covered in the cyano and scrubbed it all off, replaced it. Now we shall see what happens.

Back
Top Bottom