aptatia???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Travis55

Aquarium Advice FINatic
There is a guy that is goin to make me a good deal on20 lbs of live rock. $30!!! But, he says he's been trying to kill the aptatia on it. I've never heard of it. He said its not a huge deal but before i buy it and start cycling my tank, how bad is it really? And how do I take care of it? Thanks all!!!

Hi i take it your on about aptasia? if so it really depends on how much there is on the rocks and how big they are, you can go the chemical route of getting rid of aptasia but be careful as it can spread still after using them items, but i do prefer getting TRUE peppermint shrimps as they do get rid of the stuff the only problem is keeping them alive after they have eaten all of it so must try feeding them.

Here is a good article that you might find a way of getting rid of the pesky stuff:

aiptasia control

Good luck!

Hi i take it your on about aptasia? if so it really depends on how much there is on the rocks and how big they are, you can go the chemical route of getting rid of aptasia but be careful as it can spread still after using them items, but i do prefer getting TRUE peppermint shrimps as they do get rid of the stuff the only problem is keeping them alive after they have eaten all of it so must try feeding them.

Here is a good article that you might find a way of getting rid of the pesky stuff:

aiptasia control

Good luck!

Sooo is it a pain in a$$? I don't wanna get a good deal on rock and then have to spend a ton of time trying to kill this gunk on it...

A couple of peppermint shrimp in my 55 took care of the few Apstasia I had in the tank

Travis55 said:
Hmmm. The rock comes out to $1.05 a lb. Soooo cheap! So would you say its a good deal to take care of the apstasia?

I'd go ahead and go for it.

Cool. Its got some cool sponges on it too.

Here's some pics of the rock.

img_1606605_0_f1a3ff271424a92082040e3e82e8bfe9.jpg

img_1606605_1_5ccb5b22367f4947645d3161933f7f71.jpg

img_1606605_2_6f89861cc96ef1fe84d8e31d5b7964bd.jpg

img_1606605_3_a3b9b4cda317b87a079684b57ea162d6.jpg

The problem with Aiptasia is that is the proverbial rabbit of the reef..it breeds and spreads like crazy.

There are a couple of methods to get rid of it but as davyboy pointed out no method is 100%.

1. Peppermint Shrimp: these guys will take care of the smaller Aiptasia but this is what I found out. There are two types of Aiptasia..a pacific version and an atlantic version. THe PAcific version is the stuff that spreads rapidly; the atlantic version isn't as aggressive. I had the atlantic version and while I got rid o 3 of them, I still have one that hasn't spread in over 5 months. Peppermint shrimp from the pacific will not recognize atlantic version Aiptasia as a food source and vice versa. In other words, unless you can definitively identify the area and related peppermint shrimp, you have a 50/50 shot of the Peppermints actually eating the Aiptasia. I had that. I had Aiptasia and went gleefully down to my LFS thinking..I'll fix you. The shrimp ignored the Aiptasia. I know I have Atlantic rock and related Aiptasia but obviously the Peppermints were the west coast variety.

2. A couple of chemical methods but it takes some detective work and point and shoot action.

The first is using a mixture called Aiptasia-X which is usually available at your LFS. I have never used this so can't give instructions but I imagine it is basically the same method as the one I am going to describe next :)

Another method is using a mixture of concentrated Kalkwasser. Mix 1 tablespoon of Kalk with 2 tablespoons of water. Mix. Turn off any waterflow..you want the water column as still as possible. Using a syringe, suck up the mixture and then carefully coat the Aiptasia and the hole it is going to retreat into. When the kalk hits the water you are going to see a snow like precipitation. Be careful not to get the mixture on other corals nearby as concentrated Kalk will kill just about anything. If you do get the Kalk on something else, just use your finger to gently stir the water in the area to clean it off. Leave your pumps off for about 15 minutes and then you can turn them back on. What little Kalk goes back into the water when the pumps come back on won't hurt the general tank as it is kept moving and can't really settle. The three Aiptasia I used this method with never came back. The one I still have is just in a bad location but as long as it remains a single, I will leave it be.

Cool. Its got some cool sponges on it too.

The problem with Aiptasia is that is the proverbial rabbit of the reef..it breeds and spreads like crazy.

There are a couple of methods to get rid of it but as davyboy pointed out no method is 100%.

1. Peppermint Shrimp: these guys will take care of the smaller Aiptasia but this is what I found out. There are two types of Aiptasia..a pacific version and an atlantic version. THe PAcific version is the stuff that spreads rapidly; the atlantic version isn't as aggressive. I had the atlantic version and while I got rid o 3 of them, I still have one that hasn't spread in over 5 months. Peppermint shrimp from the pacific will not recognize atlantic version Aiptasia as a food source and vice versa. In other words, unless you can definitively identify the area and related peppermint shrimp, you have a 50/50 shot of the Peppermints actually eating the Aiptasia. I had that. I had Aiptasia and went gleefully down to my LFS thinking..I'll fix you. The shrimp ignored the Aiptasia. I know I have Atlantic rock and related Aiptasia but obviously the Peppermints were the west coast variety.

2. A couple of chemical methods but it takes some detective work and point and shoot action.

The first is using a mixture called Aiptasia-X which is usually available at your LFS. I have never used this so can't give instructions but I imagine it is basically the same method as the one I am going to describe next :)

Another method is using a mixture of concentrated Kalkwasser. Mix 1 tablespoon of Kalk with 2 tablespoons of water. Mix. Turn off any waterflow..you want the water column as still as possible. Using a syringe, suck up the mixture and then carefully coat the Aiptasia and the hole it is going to retreat into. When the kalk hits the water you are going to see a snow like precipitation. Be careful not to get the mixture on other corals nearby as concentrated Kalk will kill just about anything. If you do get the Kalk on something else, just use your finger to gently stir the water in the area to clean it off. Leave your pumps off for about 15 minutes and then you can turn them back on. What little Kalk goes back into the water when the pumps come back on won't hurt the general tank as it is kept moving and can't really settle. The three Aiptasia I used this method with never came back. The one I still have is just in a bad location but as long as it remains a single, I will leave it be.

Man..... this sounds like a biiiigggggggg pain in the rump!.......

Just how bad is apstasia? Will it harm fish? Anenomes?

Mate it can be a pain but the price ur going to be getting the rock for I would say go for it as to be honest most live rock u get in lfs has some form of aptasia on it and I would say its worth the risk poss setup a seperate tank and deal with the problem then slowly add the rock and see how u go as the rock is a good price but I live in the uk and it is expensive over here and I just brought some live rock and it had some aptasia on it but got some peppermint shrimps and it's sorted now.

Mate it can be a pain but the price ur going to be getting the rock for I would say go for it as to be honest most live rock u get in lfs has some form of aptasia on it and I would say its worth the risk poss setup a seperate tank and deal with the problem then slowly add the rock and see how u go as the rock is a good price but I live in the uk and it is expensive over here and I just brought some live rock and it had some aptasia on it but got some peppermint shrimps and it's sorted now.

Ill prolly just get it from another guy for $2 lb

Back
Top Bottom