Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-09-2009, 01:29 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Activist

im starting to get a bit discouraged. it seems that this hobby is only for those with thick wallets, cuz there has got to be something im not doing right/not buying.

Old 02-09-2009, 04:49 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Kinda scratching my head here...

You got several bits of advice off your first post, ALL which said that you should probably put the fish in hyposalinity to get rid of the ich, and to not use that medication. All it takes to do hypo is a spare tank, a sponge filter or power filter, and a heater... things you should already have. Yes... they cost money, but having a proper quarantine setup in the end will be a money saver.

Granted, this hobby isn't the cheapest in the world, but not researching or listening to advice that you asked for does tend to make it more expensive when you have to constantly replace livestock.

Old 02-09-2009, 06:10 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Activist

well, i did the hyposalinity, that didnt work, and i talked to the guy at my LFS, and he had been having that problem too, and he continued using the meds, so i figured, what (moderator edit), if its working for him, why not for me? im getting advice from about 3 different sources, and hundreds of different people buddy, and im trying to regulate all of this in my head when i dont have alot of experience, and excuse me(moderator edit) it if i get a little confused and stressed out. just keep scratching your head, cuz thats what im doing when trying to get all of the stuff im hearing straight. so, kurt, shush.

sigh, im going to get a proper quarantine set up sometime this summer, but until then, ill just leave the tank as is and let it run with corals and horshshoe crabs and snails and hermit crabs.
Old 02-09-2009, 07:02 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to HoCkEyGmC
Consittering your last post was at about noon and you didnt mention anything about hyposalinity, and now you said that you attempted it, that tells me that it was done improperly if it was done. Hyposalinity cant be done in 5 hours or even a day at that. Also, was this attemted hypo in a qt i hope?
Just trying to help!
Old 02-09-2009, 07:17 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via MSN to bawel Send a message via Skype™ to bawel
HOckey, I don't think she did it in a QT cause she said she's gonna get a proper quarantine sometime in the summer. But yes, Hyposalinity treatment takes longer than a week too... actually about a month to get it back to health, so don't get frustrated, if you can get yourself a spare tank to be a QT.

Don't get frustrated too fast, I was frustrated too when the second fish I got was dead within 2 days, but like I said, keep monitoring your tank, if you see one of your fish has an ich, try to remove him immediately from the main tank and get a spare tank for QT, so that the diseases won't spread.

FYI, I just realized, your tank cycled like in mid-end of January and you already have 3 fishes, I think you also adding too much fishes at the very short period of time. Usually after the tank cycled you should add just 1 or 2 fishes to see if everything is stable before adding another kind.
bawel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 08:05 PM   #16
AA Team Emeritus

Did you ever check NH3 after dosing your tank? Considering you dosed your tank with a Formalin product, it wouldn't be surprising if it destroyed quite a bit of your nitrifying bacteria and fauna. Also, Formalin doesn't readily kill ich so it was pointless to dose. Either hyposalinity (proper hypo works, not sure on specifics of your particular hypo period), Chloroquine, or copper (cupramine) to eliminate ich.
Innovator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 01:59 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Activist

well, the way i was told to do hypo (i didnt read anythign from here on it) was to take the fish, put it in a bowl of slightly salted water, leave it for a few secs, then put it back in the tank. and this has been going on for more than just a few days, so ive had more than just what ive posted on here. but there aint no point in arguing with me, because i know what happened, and thats the point. it HAPPENED. its over, history, see yah, bye bye. so ill just learn from what i did wrong and start over again when i have the bank to do so.
Old 02-10-2009, 02:12 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by C4t4StRoPhIc View Post
well, the way i was told to do hypo (i didnt read anythign from here on it) was to take the fish, put it in a bowl of slightly salted water, leave it for a few secs, then put it back in the tank. and this has been going on for more than just a few days, so ive had more than just what ive posted on here. but there aint no point in arguing with me, because i know what happened, and thats the point. it HAPPENED. its over, history, see yah, bye bye. so ill just learn from what i did wrong and start over again when i have the bank to do so.
Sorry you got some bad advice about the hypo treatment. What you were told to do was just dead wrong. That's not my opinion, that's just fact. I agree with what you said about getting advice from various sources, and it being confusing. But that's why you need to research the advice you're given before you do it. A quick Google search on hypo would've given you a hint that what you were told was a bunch of hooey.

Oh... and you can "shush" me all you want, but it doesn't make what I'm trying to tell you any different. All I can do (or any of us here) is give advice based on the information you post on the board. When I last posted, the only thing you'd told us is that you'd dosed with that formalin based stuff. And that was it. Want better advise and comments next time?... then give us all the info. Good luck. I'll shush now.
Old 02-11-2009, 01:57 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice Activist

Sorry Kurt, just really frustrated and looking for someone to take it out on. My bad. But like I said, ill just let it run for a few months, letting it get stable and disease free, then try again. but i do have a question about the zoanthids i got. they are constantly closed. is this bad, or just normal?
Old 02-11-2009, 01:58 AM   #20
Aquarium Advice Activist

btw, Bawel, im a guy.....just....just throwing that out there..... XD

Tags
aqua pro-cure, cure

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com