Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-19-2012, 10:17 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Aquarium not happy...why??

I have a 20 gallon reef tank with a blue velvet damsel, yellow watchman goby, and two Ocellaris clowns...I know now that this is overstocked and I am going to move the damsel into my cycling 75 gallon tank, I know damsels are supposed to survive cycles but will my blue velvet be able to? I'm pretty sure he will but I want to be absolutely positive! I like him alot
My parameters are:
pH: 7.4( how can I raise this?? I add buffer as recommended on container)
Ammonia: .5
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate:40
I did a 25% water change of 5 gallons earlier and am about to do another 5 gallons that might help the pH some maybe?
Calcium: 420( I know this is low too, I added some liquid reef by bright well aquatics today and I add as often as recommended on bottle but don't know what's wrong with it!)
I also have a 6-8 hermits(one just recently died) 6-8 assorted snail, an orange tube anemone( he is hiding in his sheath, obviously because he is not happy), a green striped mushroom, a wall hammer colony that seems droopier than normal, and a torch coral that is the same way
Some one please help! I do weekly water changes of 25% and follow instructions on all supplements so maybe overstocking was the problem? Idk!

Old 05-19-2012, 10:26 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

No way to know for sure, ( someone is going to jump in and say its cruel and to do a fishless cycle), but a fishless cycle is the way to go if your worried about the fish, go to kroger get a $5 bag of raw shrimp, throw about a small handful in the tank or put them in something mesh like panty hose so they don't make too much of a mess, and let them dissolve . This takes about a week for them to dissolve, do that twice so a little over 2 weeks, then do a big water change, then put the damsel in. If you have a test kit monitor your ammonia, trites, and trates and you'll see when its safe to put the damsel in.

Old 05-19-2012, 11:02 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Oh I don't need help with my 75 gallon cycling, I need help with my 20 gallon that's been running for 6 months that is going crazy, my 75 is about a week or two away from being completely cycled
Old 05-20-2012, 05:30 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Just bought some API pH up for the pH an in the past two days I've changed 15 gallons of water in the 20 gallon tank, I'm about to test the nitrates and pH again...and gonna add some more liquid reef
Old 05-20-2012, 06:32 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

What salt are you using and what sand, both of those contain buffers that should maintain a better ph than 7.4.

Also maybe try more surface agitation, I've read that helps with ph by better oxygenation of the water.

Also check the ph of your source water. My tap water is around 8, when I ro/di filter it it goes to around 7.0
Old 05-20-2012, 06:45 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Not sure what salt, I buy pre mixed from my lfs...sand, I can't remember what brand it's been so long since I've opened the bag but I have 20 pounds of aragonite and 10 pounds of Fiji pink

I have lowered the water level, because I have HOB filters so the gravity will make the water push further

Today, when I went to go buy another 5 gallons their saltwater was at a pH of 8.0
Old 05-21-2012, 09:33 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

7.4 is way to low, should be around 8.2 you should get your own r/o unit and make your own water because first off it would be alot cheaper and second their water is starting out to low. You could also add more rock since the average is one and a half to two pounds per gallon. How often do you do water changes?
Old 05-21-2012, 10:58 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I have about 30 pounds already in there?
Old 05-21-2012, 10:59 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

And yeah I know it's supposed to be 8.2, I'm still trying to raise it up, added more surface agitation and hopefully that will help too..
Old 05-21-2012, 11:00 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Haha sorry, couldn't remember your last question! An I do water changes of 5 gallons every Saturday

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com