Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-08-2013, 09:15 PM   #21
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_X View Post
Well, let's say they aren't infected with anything. You have to rule out your parameters, and your flow. There is nothing else. I'm telling you lighting is not the issue. I've kept zoas under all sorts of lighting and this is definitely not a symptom of low light.

Another thing I should mention just as a FYI, zoas are not low light corals. I don't know why everyone thinks this. They grow very close to the surface. They can survive in low light, but also can do well in high light situations.

The specifics are that you bought the colony when it was fully open, brought it home, and this is as open as it's gotten in 2 weeks, or it was fully open and over the course of 2 weeks it has partially closed up?
No its always been that way since I brought it home. So what could it be if not light or parasite?

Old 09-08-2013, 09:25 PM   #22
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
Some parameter is off perhaps. Flow is not ideal.
Also, zoas are funny in that some take a very long time to open. I have purchased boxes of large colony rocks (which were simply shipped wrapped in wet newspaper...no water in the box at all) and they all opened up, but some opened up as soon as I put them in the tank, while others took a week to open.

Old 09-08-2013, 11:00 PM   #23
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Some parameter is off perhaps. Flow is not ideal.
Also, zoas are funny in that some take a very long time to open. I have purchased boxes of large colony rocks (which were simply shipped wrapped in wet newspaper...no water in the box at all) and they all opened up, but some opened up as soon as I put them in the tank, while others took a week to open.
well that makes me feel better, maybe since it was a colony maybe its a whole species of zoa that's closed up that side?
Old 09-09-2013, 12:06 AM   #24
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
I'm not sure about that. You'll have to rule everything else out.
Old 09-09-2013, 12:47 AM   #25
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
I'm not sure about that. You'll have to rule everything else out.
Alright, well ill be picking up the master saltwater kit soon so ilk check all the coral parameters. But I think they like the blue light more than white..?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20130908_224706.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	63.7 KB
ID:	197250  
Old 09-09-2013, 12:49 AM   #26
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I never looked close, but that's a nice piece. Looks like at least 2 different species.
Old 09-09-2013, 12:57 AM   #27
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltwaterNuB View Post
I never looked close, but that's a nice piece. Looks like at least 2 different species.
I know it is it was gorgeous at the store and I think he said its watermelon, dragon eye, and something idk maybe radioactive I'm not sure I was firing off questions faster than he could answer lol.
Old 09-09-2013, 02:31 AM   #28
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I'd say its parameters or flow but your lighting is definitely not strong enough to burn them. I've had zoas grow in the top 1/2 if my tank with 750watts of MH and 400watts of power compacts on simultaneously burning on top of them. Most likely high levels of something it doesn't like. Possibly nitrates building up. When was your last water change? You need to be testing regularly at the minimum once a week since your tank is still really new. And be sure to be doing water changes when your levels start rising.
Old 09-09-2013, 10:02 AM   #29
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tkey3425 View Post
I'd say its parameters or flow but your lighting is definitely not strong enough to burn them. I've had zoas grow in the top 1/2 if my tank with 750watts of MH and 400watts of power compacts on simultaneously burning on top of them. Most likely high levels of something it doesn't like. Possibly nitrates building up. When was your last water change? You need to be testing regularly at the minimum once a week since your tank is still really new. And be sure to be doing water changes when your levels start rising.
I just did my first water change yesterday so its all normal and stable.
Old 09-09-2013, 11:33 AM   #30
Aquarium Advice Freak

And Tex! If you are touching them and rotating them a lot, it might delay their full extension.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com