Are you fish starving?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

faerykisses

Aquarium Advice Regular
Just a general question:

Does everyone's fish act as if their are starving?

My red firefish, banded goby, and scissortail goby all act like they are starving any time I feed them. I don't want to over feed but I don't want to starve them either. I feed every other day frozen brine and mysis in garlic "juice". I know the brine is not very nutritional but my coral banded shrimp loves it, and he never goes for the mysis.

Do I need to feed more often?

My three little fish go into a frenzy when I feed...I feed at the same time every other day. I feed a little...wait till they finish...then a little more. But when I am done, and put everything away, they are swimming around looking for more.

What's the deal?

Oh and on a side note, should dead snails be removed from the tank? And what kills snails? Found one ripped to pieces in my tank....urchins? Shrimp maybe? Never seen any of my inhabitants attack any snails so I was just wondering.

Thanks in advance!

the coral banded shrimp will eat mysis, but not as long as he can keep getting his fishy potato chips..(brine). Poor water quality will kill snails, as will fluctuating temps, ph and/or salinity. Crabs are notorious for killing snails. Other reasons could be starvation. Is there enough algae for them to eat? If not, you may want to put some algae sheets in the tank to supplement their food source.

I think every other day is plenty often to feed your fish. Mine act starved too, but they are far from it.

You`d think mine were starving also but I agree the they are far from it as fat as they are.

They are definitely good actors when it comes to food. You can feed them and come back a feed again a hour later and they will act the same way.

Well, thats good to know...I mean, that I'm not starving them. The little buggers just seem so darn hungry all the time. Thanks for all the imput guys (and gals).

As for the snails...we do have brown algae in some slow flow spots, but now that I think about it...my urchins might be hoarding it all. We also have algae on our LR. We don't have any crabs, and none that came on the rock that I have seen. (We got all LR from LFS, don't know if that matters, but it didn't seem to have anything on it)

I will re-check water quality, and look into the algae sheets. Thanks again guys!

faerykisses said:
I will re-check water quality, and look into the algae sheets. Thanks again guys!

Has anyone noticed their nori turn brown? Everytime I put a sheet of nori in the tank it's almost like it has an chemical reaction with the saltwater and turns brown within 10 sec. I usually pull it out because I'm scared to feed my fish brown nori!

Never seen it turn brown. It does get darker green when it gets wet though. Leave it in for a few hours it should be fine.

Back
Top Bottom