Asterina Star pest

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ezy33

Aquarium Advice Addict
I keep finding Asterina Stars in the area of what was a flourishing Blue Daisy. Now all that is left is two tiny patches deep in some crevices. I keep picking them off the same area. I was wondering if someone else had the same problem and a solution?

Current stock is of my 200 gallon reef.
Yellow Tang
Naso Tang
Regal Blue Tang
Sailfin Tang, Desjardini
Foxface Lo
Spotted Rabbit
Blue Damselfish
pair of Pearl Eye Clarkie Clownfish
Midas Blenny
Green Canary blenny
Scarlet Pin Stripe Wrasse
Blue Jaw Tilefish
Fire Shrimp 2
Skunk Cleaner Shrimp
Green Brittle Star Lg 2
Fighting Conch
Nassarius Snails
Turbo Snails
Turban Snails.

I have had one tank years ago that ran with thousands of asterinas, and they never touched a thing....until one day I found them on the palys, and as I removed them off of the closed polyps, underneath them were little bite marks. I bought a harlequin shrimp and within 2 months the population was virtually nil.
I never saw this before that, and never since. Generally they are completely peaceful algae grazers, but on rare occurrences, they can turn carnivore.
What sucks about the cure is that you will need to feed the harlequin starfish to keep it alive after the asterina population is gone. Either that, or pass it on to someone else.

I don't clean the side and back glass and they stay on that and do a decent job on them. Never had any issues with them.

Back
Top Bottom