Astrea Snail With No Shell???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cubswin17

Aquarium Advice Regular
I purchased 5 Astrea Snails from my LFS a few weeks ago. I have been keeping tabs on them since I have found them upside down a few times now. I counted all 5 last night... Woke up this morning and could only find 4. I found the 5th between my powerhead and the glass (he is moving) but he has no shell now. The odd thing is I can't find his shell anywhere. Any thoughts or advice about what to do if anything? Is this normal? Thanks for the help!

Thought I would add some pics of the now homeless snail and one of the other snails that still has his shell to show what type of snail I am talking about. I can only assume my LFS is correct that they are Astrea Snails. Thanks everyone!!

Attachments

• image-318816458.jpg
    image-318816458.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 154
  • image-3665748093.jpg
    image-3665748093.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 129
Looks to me like you have a limpet there. Think of it as free clean up crew. LOL.

I have those in my tank they actually have a hard shell on them. Mine came from either my live roc or live sand

So this isn't one of my Astrea Snails without his shell? Uh oh! That means I can't find one of my Astreas now! Back to the hunt! Thank you both for the help!

What you have is actually a stomatella Melevsreef.com - Stomatella
I have a few of them came in with the rock. They are fine

By the way if you have hermits and that snail is missing you might soon find an empty shell.

Yep, and I actually used to know that. I feel like an idiot. LOL. Thanks for clearing it up.

I also agree with the comment about the hermits.

jgraz said:
What you have is actually a stomatella Melevsreef.com - Stomatella
I have a few of them came in with the rock. They are fine

By the way if you have hermits and that snail is missing you might soon find an empty shell.

As long as they are safe for my tank, I'm happy! Thank you!
I do have hermits, and I think I may have found an empty shell but it's wedged in my live rock so I can't tell. I think it moved from the first time I saw it, but I'm not sure. We'll see how it plays out. Thanks everyone for your help. This board is awesome!!!

Back
Top Bottom