At wits end!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bizzybeas

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have been battling cyano for almost 6 months, the last 2 being the worst. It is on every section of my live rock and the sand bed. Even if I suction it, it is back the next day. My corals look terrible, I only have 5, so I was thinking of bringing them to the LFS because I do not want to kill them. All of my levels check out.

I have tried using chemiclean, and a phosphate sponge. The chemiclean worked for a couple of days, but that was it. I have had a lot of frustrations over the past year and am ready to turn my reef into a FOWLR. If I do this, what is the easiest way to get rid of the cyano? I am ready to tear down my tank. :cry:

I have never used anything but RO water and my skimmer is working well. It is an aqua-c. This all started when my original skimmer broke and it took me about a month between trying to fix it and finally ordering a new one. This is when the cyano started.

If I rid myself of the corals and turn my MH's off will this help because I know that it can survive with little light? Also, I have no green algae to speak of, will my pincushin urchin starve?

turning your reef into fish only is not going to get rid of the cyano....many fo tanks battle the same problems.

How often are you doing water changes? I would turn the lights to a minimum amount. Siphon daily and do water changes once a week until your problem is under control.

You do not mention any additives? are you dosing anything? what is the alkalinity level? Increased alkalinity helps eat phosphates. (not suggesting that you make the levels out of this world, just within a high normal reading)

I do not see a list of equipment or tank stuff in your profile, so I will ask...do you have enough water circulation? Do you feed frozen brine shrimp? Brine is known to cause water quality issues if fed over a long period of time.

just some things to consider........

Yes, I do feed frozen brine a few times a week. I will stop that ASAP. I dose with b ionic daily. My alk levels are about 12 , but I could certainly raise that. I have been siphoning daily for 6 months, I am getting sick of it.

I do have a lot of circulation. three powerheads in a 65 gallon, in my overflow. Is there a way to get rid of it besides tearing my tank down? :(

Check you source water for PO4. I have been fighting the same battle and discovered last night that my r/o water has a PO4 level of .25!! :evil:
Going after work to get a new membrane, hoping this will do it.
Food for thought.

you can still feed brine shrimp, but you should melt it first and strain out the brine liquid, or filter through a fry net, so that you're only feeding actual food, and the the PO4 rich fluid it's packed in.

I will test my water for phosphates but I buy it all at the water and ice store. I am just frustrated because it seems to be getting worse, not better. Shouldn't the phosphate sponges help?

Should I keep brushing it off of the rocks? It seems to irritate my bubble coral when I do that.

Brushing it off the rocks is not helping, if it is left to float around the tank, you havent accomplished anything. It needs to be siphoned out.

Tearing your tank down is not going to really help. Please dont take this the wrong way but, we create our own cyano issues. Until you find out what is happening to cause it, you are doomed to repeat it. Cyano is a very common problem, we all have had to deal with it, or will have to deal with it. I do realize how frustrating it can be, from my own experiences. The funny thing about cyano is that it leaves just the way it comes....overnight and with no explanation usually ;)

Also, what is your specific gravity? Anecdotal reports that cyano proliferates at lower s.g.'s.

bizzybeas, check your source water. I tested mine and found out it had a PO4 level of .25. I added a deionizer to my RO unit and restested. PO4 was 0.
Time will tell if this was the culprit, but it makes sense.

My specific gravity is at 1.025. This is at 80 degrees. Should I raise it a little?

Do you dose with calcium? There are several books, including Sprung's reef series, that discuss how phosphate is precipitated out by the introduction of calcium (kalkwasser). I'd do a little research before I tore my tank down. Mine's been running for 2.5 months, and while I had a small cyano spike when I was cycling my LR, it's mostly gone. My left hand crabs eat slime, so do my fighting and queen conchs. Try some biological controls as well. Good luck, I know it's frustrating.

Back
Top Bottom