Atlantic blue Tang Disease identification

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Plecolover18

Aquarium Advice Freak
In my three week old abt I have noticed he isn't doing as well in appearance. Even thought he eats a lot, always swimming and grazing on algae he has formed white specks on both his anal, dorsal and tail fin. These spots are larger than ich so that's not the case. On the other hand he is has formed a bunch of spots on the top of his body, I thought it was velvet because of it being smaller than ich but there is no bumps in the skin. Could that be just apart of maturing. My abt will twitch and scratch himself on the liverock.
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1413939209.323028.jpg
In this photo, the bold circle are the dots and the smaller circles are the white specks.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

That's not going to cure ich... at all. Sorry :(

I lowered my salinity to 1.017 that's at least what my Fluval Sea Hydrometer was telling me, my Instant Ocean only when down to 1.022 from 1.026. I am going to look up the refractometer but in the upper teens could it kill ich?

That's not going to cure ich... at all. Sorry :(

I lowered my salinity to 1.017 that's at least what my Fluval Sea Hydrometer was telling me, my Instant Ocean only when down to 1.022 from 1.026. I am going to look up the refractometer but in the upper teens could it kill ich?

The probiotics is what I was referring to as not working. But for hyposalinity it's gotta be at 1.010 at the very most. A hydrometer will never be able to get it close enough.

Okay, can I still use my hydrometer right now till I get a refractometer and if I do what should I stop a at?

Okay, can I still use my hydrometer right now till I get a refractometer and if I do what should I stop a at?

Using your hydrometer for the regular tank salinity is fine. But you can't use it for hyposalinity at all. It's just not accurate enough and you could potentially be giving them too low of a salinity to maintain proper organ function. It's just not a safe practice to try.

Back
Top Bottom