Awesome recovery from gulf live rock hitchhiker coral

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

saltcreep1025

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I got two different coral hitchhikers on some uncured gulf live rock I bought. When i first got them, they were nothing but white skeleton, but after a week or so I started noticing they were coming back! Here is the first one shortly after I noticed.

q9zcT6w.jpg

And here is a picture of it today... maybe a month and a half later.

6e8Dux4.jpg

Here is the other one almost completely dead...

sCdlkgo.jpg

Here it is recovered a little bit...

kHX6Jkp.jpg

And here it is today...

0olc2HM.jpg

This rock was out of water, just covered in wet paper towel, for over 48 hours. Amazing what can survive!

I havn't been able to identify it yet. I'll probably have to wait for it to grow a bit before I can tell. My best clue is that its a species native to the gulf.

Florida rock is loaded with hitch hikers...good and bad. Lots of mantis shrimp as well! I was going to order some simply for the diverse assortment of macro algae you'll find on them.

I heard that a good way to get mantis out is to put the rock into a high salinity batch of water and they will try to escape, is that true?

Very much I actually use some of the fresh scallops for fish and eel food in my home mix and sometimes come home with a bunch of different macro algaes from gathering the scallops that I use in my refugium

Your so lucky, I can't do that in Toronto. I did grow up ont the Dalmatian cost and miss it a lot, snorkelling was my only thing

Back
Top Bottom