Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-22-2005, 01:33 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Baby Hippo Tang

I purchased a very small Hippo Tang about 3 weeks ago. He has acclimated extremely well and he seems to behave and eat well. I have seen him eating Caulerpa, Nori and flake food. He is only about 1.5 inches long. I noticed recently, but he may have had this all along, that he has some white lines on him near where he poops. He seems to have them on both sides and I don't know if they are exactly the same on both sides. My question is, is this normal? The lines look like they could be some type of worm or parasite, but I guess finding out if they are symmetrical would help a lot. I can take pictures if that is needed.

Thanks in advance for any help here.

Willem

Old 08-22-2005, 11:03 PM   #2
steve-s

Re: Baby Hippo Tang

Quote:
Originally Posted by awillemd1
I can take pictures if that is needed.
That would definately help. FWIW, parasite activity is not typically symmetrical. What color/consistancy have the feces been?

Cheers
Steve
Old 08-23-2005, 02:30 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

I am really afraid I might have lost him. I came home from work today and he was nowhere to be found. What is weird is that none of my scavengers seemed to have him, i.e. my starfish, lobster, or hermit crabs. I am guessing he is sick and hiding in my rocks. Up until today he has been very active, eating well and behaving normally.

Unfortunately, I didn't get any pictures, but I am sure I saw the same general thing on both sides.

Willem
Old 08-23-2005, 03:17 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Regular

R.I.P. Baby Hippo Tang
Here lies a good fish...
-convict blenny
-bubble coral
-clove polyps
-green hairy mushroom
-cleaner shrimp

pics
Genix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2005, 04:40 PM   #5
steve-s

Quote:
I am really afraid I might have lost him. I came home from work today and he was nowhere to be found. What is weird is that none of my scavengers seemed to have him, i.e. my starfish, lobster, or hermit crabs. I am guessing he is sick and hiding in my rocks. Up until today he has been very active, eating well and behaving normally.
Unfortunately this is somewhat common with small newly collected Regals. They do not generally transition well into captive care. It is more than possible it has lodged itself somewhere in the rockwork but given the type of invert predators you have, it wouldn't take them long to devour such a small fish. Especially the lobster.

Quote:
Unfortunately, I didn't get any pictures, but I am sure I saw the same general thing on both sides.
I couldn't even venture a guess without some more info or a pic. About the only thing I can suggest is be sure you what all the current fish (if any?) for similar signs or new symptoms. If you decide on a new Regal, please try to get one closer to 2-2½". It can often make all the difference in the world.

Acclimating to a properly cycled QT instead of the main would also be a plus

Cheers
Steve
Old 08-23-2005, 04:58 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

Steve-s:

Thanks. I'm really sad about this one. I actually have a qt tank, but since I got him directly from the distributor, i.e. he never went into my lfs tanks, I thought I didn't need to qt him. Also, he seemed so healthy and like he was acclimating extremely well.

I will make sure I get a larger one next time.

Thanks for the advice.

Willem
Old 08-23-2005, 05:12 PM   #7
steve-s

Quote:
but since I got him directly from the distributor, i.e. he never went into my lfs tanks, I thought I didn't need to qt him.
Fish collectors and distributors use communal holding systems just like the LFS does, albeit somewhat different. The chances of the fish carrying in a problem is no less significant.

Cheers
Steve

Tags
baby, hippo, tan, tang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com