Bacteria in QT

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MarkW19

Aquarium Advice Addict
I'm just about to start my QT again in a few days - I'm using 2 foam filter pads for my Fluval 2 Plus (internal), which have been in my main tank for 2 weeks seeding.

My QT is 15 gallons, and I'm not using any substrate.

All I put in there last time was a black mug for the fish to hide in (also covered the sides/back/bottom with black card).

But, this time I'm wanting to put something in to help the bacteria cling to, as there'll be no rock etc.

What would you recommend to put in there to help the bacteria?

Does the PVC have to have any certain properties, or can I just get any PVC pipe from a DIY/Plumbing place etc.?

Any particular colour/thickness? :p

The PVC will be no different to the mug you were using. If you just want more bacteria then anything with a lot of surface area, like a sponge, will do the trick.

Okie - so if I put say 3 mugs in this time, I should have more bacteria than I did last time? :p

Yep, but more than anything they will make things less stressful for the fish by giving it places to hide. The sponges in the Fluval will be adequate for bacteria anyway.

Back
Top Bottom