Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-23-2004, 12:32 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Not to worry about to many tangs overcrowding , the Salifin didn't like the QT tank, we was fine this morning, but I just found him dead. Only 3 fish remaining.
One note about the salfin though, in my main tank, with 260watt PC's, I hardly noticed any spots on it. When I moved it into the QT tank, under a NO bulb, I could see that we was literally covered with spots, he looked terrible. But never did I see him rubbing or itching. Strange.

SparkChaser

55 gal FOWLR
Mag 350, CPR BakPakII
50 lbs LR
4x65 watt cp
1 Flasher wrasse
1 Coral Beauty
1 yellow tang
2 perc clowns
1 Serpant Starfish
1 Cleaner Shrimp
Shrooms
sparkchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2004, 12:40 PM   #12
steve-s

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkchaser
When I moved it into the QT tank, under a NO bulb, I could see that we was literally covered with spots, he looked terrible.
Sounds like it might be velvet. What are you treating the fish in the QT with?

Cheers
Steve
Old 06-23-2004, 12:45 PM   #13

Seachem's Cupramine, The Regal tang has been in the QT tank for 10 days now, and it appears to be alot better, no spots, but on one of its sides, the skin has whitened, maybe about the size of 1/2 a dime.
I'm also soaking all food in Garlic Guard.

SparkChaser

55 gal FOWLR
Mag 350, CPR BakPakII
50 lbs LR
4x65 watt cp
1 Flasher wrasse
1 Coral Beauty
1 yellow tang
2 perc clowns
1 Serpant Starfish
1 Cleaner Shrimp
Shrooms
Old 06-23-2004, 01:40 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via MSN to Brisc0
I know steve-s and I have gone round on this before, but for a sick tang I simply leave the infection to the scarlet cleaner shrimp. My purple tang has looked like an albino before he was so infested with ich, and a team of three scarlets had him "visibly cured" (not fully Steve hehe, im sure its still somewhere in the water column) in about a week. I have since had no other outbreaks, and all my fish are healthy as little wet oxes. Thats going on about 5-6 weeks ago. Medications work, and sometimes everyone has to come out to kill of the parasite, but occasionally natural cures can be just as effective. However I will agree with steve-s that it really is a roll of the dice and in some cases could be considered neglegent to not use a proven method of curing the illness rather than "hope" that everything will be alright and that nature will take its couse. Good luck.

-105G SPS Reef with 30G Sump/Fuge Combo
-30G LTAnemonarium with mated porcelain crabs, 10 sexy shrimp, and 2 pink skunks all tied into the other 135G in my system.
Brisc0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2004, 01:55 PM   #15

I do have a cleaner shrimp in the main tank, but he usually doesn't do much. Before I moved the fish into the QT tank, the shrimp was just starting to pick at them, but the fish had no time for the shrimp, and would swim away.

As for now, I'm going to leave the remaining fish in QT for 4 weeks, and leave the main tank empty for that long. Hopefully whatever is causing the problem will be gone.
9 months and I never lost a fish until this all started.

SparkChaser

55 gal FOWLR
Mag 350, CPR BakPakII
50 lbs LR
4x65 watt cp
1 Flasher wrasse
1 Coral Beauty
1 yellow tang
2 perc clowns
1 Serpant Starfish
1 Cleaner Shrimp
Shrooms
Old 06-23-2004, 10:11 PM   #16
steve-s

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkchaser
but on one of its sides, the skin has whitened, maybe about the size of 1/2 a dime.
I'm also soaking all food in Garlic Guard.
I would also suggest Selcon or Zoecon. The garlic will help boost the immune system but the other two I mentioned will help the tang heal much faster. If you can find it, Beta Glucan would be a good candidate also.

Cheers
Steve
Old 06-23-2004, 10:12 PM   #17
steve-s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brisc0
However I will agree with steve-s that it really is a roll of the dice and in some cases could be considered neglegent to not use a proven method of curing the illness rather than "hope" that everything will be alright and that nature will take its couse. Good luck.

Cheers
Steve
Old 06-24-2004, 01:35 AM   #18

I never heard of Beta Glucan before, but I found this link with some info about it.
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issu...03/feature.htm
I think that I might try to find some.

Thanks Steve and Brisco

SparkChaser

55 gal FOWLR
Mag 350, CPR BakPakII
50 lbs LR
4x65 watt cp
1 Flasher wrasse
1 Coral Beauty
1 yellow tang
2 perc clowns
1 Serpant Starfish
1 Cleaner Shrimp
Shrooms

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com