Bad Bugs Eating My Coral

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

anotherfishname

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi. Something is eating my button polyps. Can anyone tell me what these things are and how do I get rid of them? Sorry the pic of them isn't better but I had a hard time getting a shot of them. They scatter as soon as the light goes on. The second pic shows the damage they've done.
BTW the pic of the damage was taken with my new Canon Power Shot D10. It's an underwater camera with 12.1 mp. I've been getting sick pics with this thing in my tank. I'm not selling these tings, I swear. LOL They're just awesome.
Thanks for any help you can give me.

Attachments

• bad bugs_edited-1.jpg
    bad bugs_edited-1.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 130
  • bug damage_edited-2.jpg
    bug damage_edited-2.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 147
Can you get a better pic? More magnified? I sort of see something on the 1st pic, but can't see anything on the 2nd.

I'll give it another shot tonight when the lights go out. The second pic was taken with the light on just so the damage could be seen better. These things are brown with stripes, have a lot of legs and long antenna. I'll try underwater this time with a flash and see what happens. Thanks.

Following along for my own education...

Capt- what are you thinking? Nudis? Some sort of worm?

The pics look like amphipods to me so I'm taking the risk and betting something else is going on and the "bugs" you are seeing are cleaning up the residual mess.

I'll risk a frag and take that bet! ;) The first pic definitely is something beyond any sort of pod.

Turns out the "bugs" were amphipods. I don't know what happend but the polyps started getting better and they're starting to grow again in that spot. Maybe it was some sort or rot? Is there such a thing? Anyway, thanks for all the imput everyone. I appreciate it.

I'm with James as well, my first impression is pods.

Glad you identified it another.

Innovator: good call. I owe ya a frag! :D PM me anytime to collect.

Back
Top Bottom