Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-15-2004, 11:47 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via ICQ to jackdp
Depending on the depth of your tank and the anemone 96 watts of PC lighting was probably a little on the low side. Many anemones require higher lighting.

Old 03-16-2004, 12:00 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via MSN to Dewey
Alot of us learn by others mistakes. I learned something here THANKS

Dewey

Old 03-16-2004, 12:08 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Rich,

Check out this link on acclimation:

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=14#53

You hit it on the head, research and asking ?s is always the best way. Unfortunately the LFS is not always the best place to get advice until you are confident that they know what they are talking about.

Sorry about your loss.

Not sure what your set up is or what you are looking for in an anenome. Because I do not have the lighting($) for a reef tank I have a 75g FO with some inverts including 4 Condy anenome. They do not host fish, but seem more hardy and do not require as much lighting as most anenome. Did not see how big your setup is, but 96w is probably a little low for most, but condy may do well.

One other thing before you jump back in how old is your set up? Most advise waiting until it is at least 1 year. I did not know this when I bought mine at 5 months , but then again mine seem a little hardier where other species may not be.

Good luck,

Tank: 90 Gal SW Reef in the making

See my info for setup and inhabitant details:
afilter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2004, 06:50 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Unfortunately the LFS is not always the best place to get advice until you are confident that they know what they are talking about.
Your not kidding about that.

Vote for AquariumAdvice
dralarms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2004, 06:00 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Depending on the depth of your tank and the anemone 96 watts of PC lighting was probably a little on the low side. Many anemones require higher lighting.
The tank bottom is around 20" from light, but the anemone was on a tall rock about 8" from the light.

Quote:
One other thing before you jump back in how old is your set up? Most advise waiting until it is at least 1 year. I did not know this when I bought mine at 5 months , but then again mine seem a little hardier where other species may not be.
The setup is only a month and a half old . That was my first mistake.

I tried to post a pic of it but it wouldnt attach.

Thanks,
Rich
Old 03-16-2004, 10:31 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

Rich,

Wait awhile on any anenome and do your research. Depending on your setup your tank is probably just finishing its initial cycle. Patience is the key to success in the SW hobby. Patience is the hardest part of the hobby for most, me included. If you take it slow you will find SW keeping much more enjoyable and a lot less costly.

I would wait a full 6 months if not a year before trying another anenome, depending on your setup.

Your mistake is not an uncommon one. I can not guess how many mistakes I made first starting out and the $ wasted not to mention the poor animals that suffered due to my lack of knowledge. I wish I knew about resources like this site when I was starting out. Hang out here and do your reading. AA is a great site to hang out at and learn from others successes as well as mistakes. It can become as addictive as fishkeeping itself.

If you want describe your setup:
Size, equipment, water, filtration, etc. and what you your goals are as far as stocking. I am sure many can help get you pointed in the right direction. There are also a lot of posts you can check out here.

Good luck,

Good luck,

Aaron

Tank: 90 Gal SW Reef in the making

See my info for setup and inhabitant details:
afilter is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com