Bad day in tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

acid_burn

Aquarium Advice Activist
I came home from work today checked out the anemone I bought Saturday it looked good, that was 4:00pm.

Did my normal daily stuff, about 7:00 took a shower (like you care) glanced at the tank around 7:30ish couldnt see it. I thought it went behind a rock it was on, for the last two nights it hid behind the rock til I turned the lights on the next day. Sure enough it was back there but it was about a 1/4 the normal size and oozing some brown slime and the tentacles were a dark greenish color and it was normaly a brown color.

I hope I did the right thing by taking the rock out of the water and removing the dead anemone from the rock, rinsed the rock with RO water and placed it back in the tank. I did a parameter check after: Ammonia 0, Nitrite 0, Nitrate 0, and PH 8.3.

Any input on what caused this would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Rich

I have 4 condy anenome and they shrink all the time and expel waste depending on how often I feed them. It is possible yours was not dead, It is possible your was doing the same. :(

One on mine when it is fully expanded is about 10" across, but when it contracts can turn into a small ball.

You did not say what kind of anenome? How did the foot look? Did you have to peel it off the rock or was it just laying there?

Not sure how experienced you are, but do your research and here is a good place to start. Alot of people here have a lot more experience than I and can offer some good advice.

I don't think it is uncommon at all for anemones to shrink up and expel waste. The chances are very good that it wasn't dead.

afilter,
I dont know the exact name of it, I'll try to post a pic.

I did have to peel it off the rock :(

My water now has a slight odor to it now.

WarOrks15,
I use a JBJ Formosa 96watt. The guy at my LFS said that I didnt need to acclimate long, so I acclimated for 30min.

Thanks,
Rich

Too bad man... I have a bubble tip that shrank and expelled its wait the first day I got him and hes doing great, he hosts my brown saddle back :)

I got a great deal on my bubble tip for $10!!! and he is a great addition in my tank, and he has not got into any trouble with my button polyps and my colt coral :)

Yesturday I got a new lighting system as well as a hood I got 4-110watt vhos with an ice cap ballast (total of 440 watts!) and someday I'm going to mount my 2 55watt pcs on to the new hood to make 550watts.

Well its looking like my inexperience cost me $60. :evil:

I should have done more research on anemones before going out and purchasing one, I hope someone will see this post so they dont make the same mistake :(

Thanks,
Rich

Depending on the depth of your tank and the anemone 96 watts of PC lighting was probably a little on the low side. Many anemones require higher lighting.

Rich,

Check out this link on acclimation:

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=14#53

You hit it on the head, research and asking ?s is always the best way. Unfortunately the LFS is not always the best place to get advice until you are confident that they know what they are talking about.

Sorry about your loss. :(

Not sure what your set up is or what you are looking for in an anenome. Because I do not have the lighting($) for a reef tank I have a 75g FO with some inverts including 4 Condy anenome. They do not host fish, but seem more hardy and do not require as much lighting as most anenome. Did not see how big your setup is, but 96w is probably a little low for most, but condy may do well.

One other thing before you jump back in how old is your set up? Most advise waiting until it is at least 1 year. I did not know this when I bought mine at 5 months :roll: , but then again mine seem a little hardier where other species may not be.

Good luck,

Depending on the depth of your tank and the anemone 96 watts of PC lighting was probably a little on the low side. Many anemones require higher lighting.

The tank bottom is around 20" from light, but the anemone was on a tall rock about 8" from the light.

One other thing before you jump back in how old is your set up? Most advise waiting until it is at least 1 year. I did not know this when I bought mine at 5 months , but then again mine seem a little hardier where other species may not be.

The setup is only a month and a half old :? . That was my first mistake.

I tried to post a pic of it but it wouldnt attach.

Thanks,
Rich

Rich,

Wait awhile on any anenome and do your research. Depending on your setup your tank is probably just finishing its initial cycle. Patience is the key to success in the SW hobby. Patience is the hardest part of the hobby for most, me included. If you take it slow you will find SW keeping much more enjoyable and a lot less costly.

I would wait a full 6 months if not a year before trying another anenome, depending on your setup.

Your mistake is not an uncommon one. I can not guess how many mistakes I made first starting out and the $ wasted not to mention the poor animals that suffered due to my lack of knowledge. I wish I knew about resources like this site when I was starting out. Hang out here and do your reading. AA is a great site to hang out at and learn from others successes as well as mistakes. It can become as addictive as fishkeeping itself. :lol:

If you want describe your setup:
Size, equipment, water, filtration, etc. and what you your goals are as far as stocking. I am sure many can help get you pointed in the right direction. There are also a lot of posts you can check out here.

Good luck,

Good luck,

Aaron

Back
Top Bottom