BAD NEWS!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think that they are going to try to sidestep what happended and blame it on something else here is what they sent me, sneaky people he is going to read all my stats then with whatever he doesnt like he is going to blame it on. well see what happens

Thank you for using our products. I have never seen carbon kill any animal. I have a few questions which may help me understand what may have happened.

What size aquarium do you have?
How long has the aquarium been set up and running?
What kind of filtration do you have?
What kind of skimmer do you have?
Do you have any other kind of filtration? (i.e. de-nitrators, etc)
What type of aquarium is it? (i.e. reef, fish only, etc)
How many fish do you have?
What are their species?
How large are they?
Do you have invertebrates?
What are their species?
Where is the aquarium located in your home?
What salt do you use?
What supplements do you use?
How often do you use them?
What kinds of foods do you feed? (Frozen, pellet, flake)
Does anyone else maintain the aquarium besides you?
Have you used any medications within the last 3 months?
What are your water parameters?
pH:
Alkalinity:
Salinity:
Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
Copper:
Any other parameters you have tested:
How often do you do water changes?
How much water do you change?
What kind of water do you use to mix the salt? (tap, RO, DI, etc)
Where are you located in the country?

Thanks,

John

Tech Dept.

I had my water turn completly black from carbon. So black that you couldn't even see the fish. (long story) any how not one thing died. I don't think the carbon was your problem. AFAIK carbon is completly harmless after all life forms are carbon based :)

moral of the story: don't trust some guy on ebay. Spend a little more and get something you know for a fact is good.

moral of the story: don't trust some guy on ebay. Spend a little more and get something you know for a fact is good.

That's not fair to those of us on ebay that strive to make sure you get what you pay for.

i believe that i got kent marine brand carbon, im just not sure how they store it, something had to off contaminate it. i dont know what happened all i know is that my fish are dead. they all died at the same time even most the crabs all within one hour of me adding the carbon, i trust most people with good ratings on ebay, thats how i got most my aquarium stuff and i probably saved hundreds so far

Quote:

That's not fair to those of us on ebay that strive to make sure you get what you pay for.

I agree, Gerald.

this is what i replied to all there questions maybe you guys may see something that im missing

I have a 100 gallon tank, it has been running for about 2 months, im currently running about 800 gph with 2 filters one Aqua clear 500, and one rena filstar xp3. Its a salt water fish tank with some live rock. I had 2 domino damsels, 2 perca clowns, one pink damsel, one blue chromis, and a lawnmower blenny that actually lived. I saw that he was on the bottom but was still breathing so i pulled him out and stuck him in a bucket of water overnight, he seems to be ok now he is back in the tank(minus the carbon) most fish where small to medium size, what i mean is that there wasnt any 10 inch fish in there. About half of the crabs died also, i think that most where blue leg hermits, all small in size. I do all aquarium work, the day before i toped off the water and added some trace elements, ive been using Oceanic brand salt in its at 1.022. Ive been using RO water in my tank and i do about a 15percent change every 2 weeks also its set up in my room, not in direct sunlight. Water perams at time off death.....
Ph. 8.0
Nitrite. .25
Nitrate. 5.0
amonia. 0

Ok concerned about this
the day before i toped off the water and added some trace elements

But don't see where you test for the trace elements. You should never add anything to the tank your not testing for, some of those "trace" elements can KILL at higher levels.

I apoligise if I offended my fellow E-Bay friends. I have have known plenty of people with bad ebay experences in the past. That is why I spend a little more for my supplies, my tanks, my equipment, etc.

If you do anything long enough you're bound to have a bad experience or two.. fact of life.

The important thing is not to be discouraged and to bounce right back!

If you do anything long enough you're bound to have a bad experience or two.. fact of life.

The important thing is not to be discouraged and to bounce right back!

I agree.

I apoligise if I offended my fellow E-Bay friends

Not offended, just wanted to clarify the fact that all eabyers arn't there to rip you off.

When i say i added trace elements, it means that i put about 5 drops in there, now 5 drops to 100 gallons days before all fish die at same time, i dont think it can be the trace elements. Lemme get this clear in not trying to fight you guys about anything lol in just trying to figure out what happened how not to do it again.

Believe it or not 5 drops in 100 gal could be enough to cause problems, depending on what it is and what the currents levels were. I'm not saying it was in this case.. probably not actually.. but for future reference it's not a good idea to add anything you aren't able to test.

Lemme get this clear in not trying to fight you guys about anything lol in just trying to figure out what happened how not to do it again.

That's all any of us here are doing. is trying to figure out what happened. If is was the carbon I know I'd be mad also.

By the way guys thanks for the help so far, ill take a sample to my lfs and have them test it out and ill see what happens, it may off been a trace element but the possibility of them all dieing all at the sametime days after is a strech but still possible.

It is wise not to add anything you don't test for. Regular water changes and a good alk/ca supplement (ESV B-ionic for ex.) will do. I tend to believe it was the carbon also, but sometimes who knows.

one of my friends swears that the carbon killed them, that carbon should never be put in a saltwater tank, and that all it does is make plants grow. He is in my opinion obvously confused about carbon in the gas form and activated carbon, anywho has anybody ever been told not to put activated carbon in a saltwater aquarium. As far as i know the only downside is that it removes some trace elements, other than that i dunno

I was told that Carbon was not to be used...then I discovered Aquarium Advice. now I know better than to listen to my LFS.

:D

How could the carbon be the cause if you used it prior to this awful day and nothing hppened? If it was the carbon, it must have been contaminated after you opened it. Where did you store it? Sorry for your loss.

Back
Top Bottom