BAD NEWS!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

moejoephd

Aquarium Advice Activist
lemme get stait to the point.....100 gallon salt, one lawnmower blenny, 2 domino damsels, 2 clowns, one pink damsel, and one green chromis. 10 tiny hermits (blue legged) 3 larger ones. Had some kent activated carbon in there, I added about half a cup more in my media bags and left for 2 hours, when i came back everthing is belly UP!!!! i dont know what happened the activated carbon is the only thing i can think off, has this ever happend to anyone, is it capable to kill everthing?? is it possible that the tank somehow had a shock of eletricity, thats not there anymore, my water stats are not out of the norm, tanks been running for about 2 months, i dont know what to do, if someone has answers please help. Thanks

yes for about 5 min, thats the only thing i can think about it being, maybe it took out all of the air out of the water, what are the chances in that?

No. Where was the carbon stored? My guess is that the carbon carried some kind of household chemical or agent that poisoned your tank. Sorry to hear about your loss. :|

I just can't see how the carbon could have caused it. I would want to figure it out before I added anything new to the tank. Sorry for your loss! :(

I got the carbon from some guy off of ebay, described as kent marine activated carbon, when it showed up at the door it was in a unmarked bag. I got 4.5 pounds for about 25 dollars, his name was like aquatics by kr or something like that has a really good rating so i trusted him. Now let me clear this up i was using about a cup in there for about 5 days and before i left to go to the lfs i added about a half cup more and left, i was gone not even for 2 hours, when i came back i took the top off (didnt notice the fish) and put some aqua charger stuff in my hot filter, after i put that stuff in there i noticed pinky the damsel on the bottom of the tank, i dont think that that stuff could of killed everything in an instant, it had to be the carbon, im going to get on that guys case that sold me the carbon. I trusted him because he has such a awsome rating on ebay, guess i was wrong. Dam this sucks i had so much life in there then all of the sudden everything is gone just like that, is still cant beleive it, my tank is empty :(

i emailed the seller and told him to stop all shipments of this stuff intill he takes a close look at his warehouse, please dont buy any from him may not be a good idea right now.

I feel for you, that terrible. :(
I had a bad ebay experience. Same thing, good seller rating seemed to be no problem. I ordered some live sand/rubble put it in my tank and went on vacation a week later. Came home and my fish were covered with ich. Had to have been the sand, my tank was running parasite free for months and that was the only thing added.
I lost only 1 fish, but had to pull the others and treat, I'm still treating.
Watch ebay folks.

Im not try to bash him, ive bought from him before, im just upset that my fish are gone and so is my girlfriend, thats the worst part having to answer to her. Anywho if you want to post his number or e-mail it to me thats fine,
moejoephd@yahoo.com, Thanks for the help

moejoephd said:
im just upset that my fish are gone and so is my girlfriend
For a second I thought the carbon got her too 8O

lol nope (not yet at least), no i luv her, no carbon for her lol, but i see how you could of thought that lol :lol:

its kinda like bio balls but different design, it supposed to be the ultamite bio filter stuff, neverbreaksdown never needs replacing, but is alittle expensive for a small jar. Its made here in arizona so i dont know how far it gets exported out of the state, ill post some pics for ya

darnit tropical science, they come precolinized and are uber so far, cleared up my water

I agree now, the aqua charger would not have killed them. You may want to pick up some polyfilters. I heard they are great at removing bad stuff. The thought of having to tear down and start over is never fun. Good Luck

Back
Top Bottom