Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-05-2005, 01:26 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to greenmaji
DSB link..
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewto...r=asc&start=50

Old 11-05-2005, 11:35 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Regular

Ok, based on the responses to this topic I have decided that a reef tank is not in my near future. Just buying the 180-240lbs of live rock would cost over $900 at my LFS.

I did buy the ASM G3 Protein Skimmer today, so that should be in the mail in 4-7 days. Do I need a sump for the protein skimmer or could I use a small tank for that? What is a good economical way to go?

Questions about the sump setup. I would like to do the sump setup that is in the DIY section. I am very handy and I could make one with no problem. Questions though:
1) I cannot drill my tank as it is made of tempered glass, so the overflow tank would have to be external. What is a good brand, size, ect for my 120gal tank.
2) Would a 29gal sump be large enough for my tank?
3) What return pump should I use?
4) Will my canister filters then be worthless, or should I still use them for water flow.

I'm not going to go for a reef setup for a while, and currently all of my rock is 'dead' rock. I would like to have inverts though (shimp, crabs, lobsters, etc). Do inverts NEED a reef tank or do they need LR? If they need a reef setup, then forget it. If they would need LR, is it possible to make my own LR out of my current dead rock?

I appriciate everyone's help. Thanks.

Old 11-06-2005, 01:11 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

You can go with a small % of liverock to baserock.. it just takes a longer time for the base rock to become live that way.. (you can go to one of the recomended LR e-tailers as well instead of your LFS for LR)
I would suggest a new post with some of your new questions.. you might get more answers that way..
CPR brand HOB overflows seem to be the most popular in any size range from what Ive seen..
weather or not a 29 gallon tank is big enough is debateable for a sump.. that depends on the size of the plumbing going to and from it, how much length of pipe and how much water it all will hold. to know how much extra space in the sump you will need.. yea.. this is an ugh situation but.. If you can plan how much flow you want for your sump and how big the pipes have to be for your pump and overflow it can be planned out ahead of time how much extra space you will need..
I would use the canisters for water flow..
LR is for biological filtration, it even removes NO3.. soo.. the amount is recomended for filtration not so much for the "reef"
your "dead" or base rock becomes LR with the introduction of any amount of LR into your system.. it just takes time..
no problem.. and HTH
Old 11-06-2005, 02:58 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

You might want to look into what types of coarl and inverts your intrested in to see what type of lighting you'll need to upgrade to once you go to convert to a reef tank.. HTH..

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com