Bad outbreak, new idea

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tripper

Aquarium Advice Freak
Well, I made my first real mistake with my tank and am suffering the consequences now. I have a 75 FOWLR tank that just had a horrible ich outbreak. I had not added anything in a couple months and had taken down my QT just a few days ago to rearrange some things in my house. Of course, as soon as I am without a QT I get an ich outbreak. I couldn't treat them in the main tank and couldn't get the QT cycled again in time to save everyone. Very sad day as I lost my gorgeous dog faced puffer.

At this point all I have remaining are a firefish and a snowflake moray. I have decided that I want to turn this into a reef tank now. Currently I have 4X65W PC lighting. What types of corals could I keep successfully with this lighting? I'm sure I will eventually make the switch to MH, but for now I don't want to put a lot of money into new lighting because this PC lighting is still only 4 months old.

Once my QT is cycled, I will move the firefish and eel into it so that the main can sit for 6 weeks with no livestock. This should allow the parasites to die off, correct? During this 6 weeks, is it safe to add corals?

I also have about 90lbs of live rock. I am planning on getting another 30-40lbs. I got my first batch from Premium Aquatics and was very happy with the rock (half Marshall, half Tonga). I like variety though and was thinking about liverocks.com. Everyone seems happy with their rock from there, but which type would you recommend?

Thanks for all your help

Once my QT is cycled, I will move the firefish and eel into it so that the main can sit for 6 weeks with no livestock. This should allow the parasites to die off, correct? During this 6 weeks, is it safe to add corals?

Good Plan, and yes you can add corals if your water parimeters check out!! :wink:

You are going to trade the eel for corals or other reef safe livestock correct? :mrgreen:

Yes, as much as I do like the snowflake, I know he won't be appropriate for the reef. I do have a good LFS that will find him a good new home though.

Any suggestions on some low/medium light, hardy corals that would be good for me to start with?

Ya you could do softies, and some others. Leathers, poylps, zoos, shrooms, and even some more demanding corals. You have 3.4w a gallon. Not bad. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom