Banded Cat Shark died, help please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You could do just the sump for the LR. The LR will take over the bio filtering and basically make your canister filter nothing more then a media reactor/mechanical filtration.

The canister has just a couple sponges to house the bacteria, where the LR has thousands of pores to house both aerobic and anaerobic bacteria which can give total bio filtration. If you put a filter sock on the water coming into the sump, then you could actually just use the canister for running different types of media (carbon,rowaphos, etc.)

do you not think that the filter by itself without live rock will support the biofiltering needs for the tank, without live rock?

i would still make 2 chambers- one for the rock and one for return...this way, the rock will never be exposed to air if you forget to top it off. you see, once you add a sump, all of your evaporation will be seen in the sump. you'll never see the tank low again.

a predator tank makes a lot of waste. just look at the size of the pieces of food in your fingers in those vids...after it eats that food, it's not gone. it's simply processed a bit. it must be filtered out. the better filter you have, the more solid your tank will be.

do you not think that the filter by itself without live rock will support the biofiltering needs for the tank, without live rock?

There is just not enough surface area on the canister to support the large carnivores your looking to keep. Canisters are great for light bioload tanks, but in your situation, it just won't work to your advantage. You'll constantly see swings of ammonia and nitrites because as the filter gets clogged with junk, it can't grow any further bacteria and covers the existing bacteria inhibiting it's ability to process. Also, as the filter picks up more and more waste, the flow slows down so the water doesn't process as quickly.

With the sump and LR, the flow will stay more or less constant and the LR will virtually never run out of room for your bio load if you have the proper amount of it.

so something like this for a HOB overflow (I know its a little large, but if I upgrade to a 210gal it leaves me room):
Eshopps PF1200 Overflow Box, 300 gal tank, Dual - AquaCave

what do you recommend for the rest of the sump set up for 100lbs of live rock?

You could use this with only 1 u tube utilised until you upgrade to your larger tank.I use an 800 on my 75g tank,it works a treat.

i agree with Mr X in regards to the sump,Large as poss with at least 2 sections

Back
Top Bottom