Banded white shark egg turning white

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aroid86

Aquarium Advice Newbie
my shark egg has like white fur growing on it and dont know why

my shark egg has like white fur growing on it and dont know why
It sounds like the egg is dead and a fungus is taking over it. HOWEVER, here's how you can check the egg: Get a high powered or bright flashlight, remove the egg and shine the light through the middle of it from behind. If the embryo is still alive, you should be able to see the little shark moving inside along with the yolk and the liquid inside should be clear. If it looks like soup inside, unfortunately, the egg is dead which is why it if fungusing over.

Hope this helps (y)

It sounds like the egg is dead and a fungus is taking over it. HOWEVER, here's how you can check the egg: Get a high powered or bright flashlight, remove the egg and shine the light through the middle of it from behind. If the embryo is still alive, you should be able to see the little shark moving inside along with the yolk and the liquid inside should be clear. If it looks like soup inside, unfortunately, the egg is dead which is why it if fungusing over.

Hope this helps (y)

+1 with Andy !! As well, what are your parameters in the tank, light periods, other inhabitants ?

Sent from my iPhone that doesn't like me. Or you !!

Its 130 gallon tank. I got one foxface in there and a chocolate star fish that is doing great. Since I have only owned the shark egg for a week now. Does that mean I might have baught it dead?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

This is it?

Attachments

• 1423545685313.jpg
    1423545685313.jpg
    116.5 KB · Views: 142
Is this normal banded cat shark egg

I haven't even had it a week and growing white fur on it

Attachments

• 1423545780647.jpg
    1423545780647.jpg
    116.5 KB · Views: 102
Parameters ?

Edit : How much research have you put into this ? Are those plastic plants in the tank ?

I have read stuff on them and I know I'm going to need a new and bigger tank. I have been looking to get one but right now I just got 130 gallons. 2 fluval eco 6w lights. I also checked my water and everything was good. I have a couple plastic plants and about 60lbs of live work if not more

Rock*

It was like this when I got it less than a week ago

Attachments

• 1423549265865.jpg
    1423549265865.jpg
    139.5 KB · Views: 101
Now it looks like this

Attachments

• 1423549318970.jpg
    1423549318970.jpg
    116.5 KB · Views: 106
  • 1423549348209.jpg
    1423549348209.jpg
    138.4 KB · Views: 71
It may not have been dead when you purchased it but again, I would "candle" it ( shine the light through) to confirm it's condition. Also, whenever purchasing these eggs in a store, have them candle it as well before you buy it. Unfortunately, things deteriorate in a saltwater tanks quickly so the fact that it's dead today does not mean it wasn't alive 2 days ago. The proof of it's condition is inside that egg. What it looks like on the outside is just guessing.

we need exact numbers, your good and our good could be very different. IMO you shouldn't buy any fish you can permanently house. If it is dead, i would wait to try again until you have a 300+ gallon tank that could support him. Also your going to need WAY more live rock. about 1-1.5 lbs per gallon so probably another 70 if not more lbs. How are you filtering the tank and what are you using to test?

we need exact numbers, your good and our good could be very different. IMO you shouldn't buy any fish you can permanently house. If it is dead, i would wait to try again until you have a 300+ gallon tank that could support him. Also your going to need WAY more live rock. about 1-1.5 lbs per gallon so probably another 70 if not more lbs. How are you filtering the tank and what are you using to test?

Very true !!! As well, I've always seen them clipped to the side of the tank in good flow. Can't say what method is correct, just what I've always seen. I'd also say to do some in depth research in the future and not just reading "stuff". It'll be much better for the fish should you choose to stay in the hobby for any length of time.

With all due respect, I think you are being a little overboard here. I've imported and hatched many cat shark eggs over the years and the pup, when hatched, is a small animal that does not need a tremendous amount of swimming space. In fact, most of the time I hatched them in 10 or 15 gal tanks and didn;t house them in larger tanks until they got use to being fed. That small animal in such a large tank, as you suggested, has a greater chance of starving than surviving. (IME) If we were talking about larger cat sharks, I would agree with the size. But you also need to consider that some hobbyists want the experience of hatching the eggs and growing the animal for a bit with the full intention of rehoming the shark when it gets too large for their current tank(s) by either upsizing their own tank or finding someone with an appropriate sized tank. So to say you should only have an end sized tank for a beginning sized animal is a little much I think.

The only real issue here is water quality. If the water quality was bad, THAT is most likely why the egg died IF it died after purchase. Unfortunately, unless the egg was candled at the place of purchase, there is the possibility that the embryo was dead when purchased. That being said, yes, a little more exacting answers would help us and more education would help the OP.

Just my take on the matter. (y)

Back
Top Bottom