Benntet sharp nose puffer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Leeh24

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi,

Bought a Bennett sharp nose puffer at lfs today and it blew up when it was caught and put in bag. The shop informed me this was normal, the puffer would deflate. 7 hours later still not deflated and still upside down. It is still alive but only swimming at the top of the tank.. Any ideas ?

Lee

Did they catch it with a net? They can NOT be exposed to air, they will puff up like yours and can end up stuck like that.

Yeah she caught it with the net, I called them this afternoon and they told me that this is normal for them to blow up and it could take a couple of hour or a couple of days to deflate. I still don't think its right just floating at top of tank.

Yeah, they should always be caught with a container with water, never ever a net. I'd wait till an expert comes in to give better advice, for now, just keep an eye on him.

Could it possibly ingested some air when it inflated? Was I'd able to swim towards the bottom at all? I have no experience on puffers but I've read that you can try to deflate it by gently squeezing it with its head facing towards the top of the water for it to release some of the air it ingested. If you are going to try this, just make sure to keep the puffer below the water line to prevent it from ingesting any more air. Good luck

No it's not attempted to swim to down at all it will swim but always at top.. I think you are right its air.. It is only a small one around an inch and a half don't fancy tryin to wind it I case I do it more damage. If not better tomorrow I will take it back to store. Poor thing.

Oh no! That sound awful, my favorite fish! I can't offer you much advice I am afraid but I have had a bennet's for over two years and have never ever seen him puff up :( here is my big guy...

Attachments

• image-2540256271.jpg
    image-2540256271.jpg
    103 KB · Views: 82
sounds like poor transfer technique by the LFS employee. your odds were against once payment was made. I do not like any fish being exposed to air during transfer.

Back
Top Bottom