Best treatment for ick

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
At this point I'm so confused about what to do. And I think I'm stressing more than the fish are. But I'm gonna just do the best I can that's all I can really do

IME fresh water dips just did not work. As a matter of fact both times I did it the tang died. I`m not discounting anyone`s experience just stating mine.
Also you know you dont have to have a tank to QT. A rubbermaid tote will work just as good.

Well I have made up my mind I I have started doing hypo with the hydrometer and also contiuing the other treatment with the garlic as well. I wasn't able to barrow a refratometer on account she didn't have one. Go figure right a marine biologys dosent even have one I well I'll do my best thanks for all your help!

I'm 100% for going the hypo route, but you really need a refractometer for it. From everything I've read, if it's anything more than 1.009 you're possibly doing it all for nothing. And you just can't get the consistency you need with a swing arm hydrometer. If it's a floating hydrometer, you might be OK.

If I was in your position, I'd get a refractometer on order from one of the online shops (drfostersmith, marinedepot, premiumaquatics... to name a few) and spring for 2-day shipping. It will take you a few days to get down to 1.009, so by the time you get close to 1.009 you'll have it. 4-6 weeks at that low of salinity without a refractometer might not be a good outcome.

Good luck, with whatever you do. You're probably right... you're stressing more than the fish - at least at this point. But untreated, ick will eventually win.

FWIW, in my short experience, I had absolutely zero luck with garlic or "NO ICH". When I tried copper, I killed the tangs (clowns and flame angel were unaffected). I'd place all my chips on hyposalinity.

Well I did the instant ocean meds for the 5 days and let's just say it isn't worth crap. So I stop treatment with that and today I got the salinity down to 1.010 so one more water change. And my refractometer should be here today or tomarrow so hopfuly I can get this over with anyways just thought I'd leave an update

Back
Top Bottom