Best way to treat ich with inverts?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Sarcothelia said:
I've decided that if my tank gets ich I'll just treat the fish separately and if it returns move the fish to a FOWLR where they can be free of it forever.

Good luck treating it, but as of now there really isn't a way to treat an invert tank and free it of ich.

+1 for the first part :)

?????? For the second. :-/

If there are JUST inverts in your tank left there's no need to treat, within 8 weeks you are guarantied a ich free tank .... With out any fish in the tank ICH WILL DIE OFF WITH IN 8 weeks.

I had an ich outbreak is my old reef tank, I had corals and inverts in there. I picked up an ich medication that was all natural and reef/invert safe and it worked like a charm. I forget the name but it was a dark brown colour. The tank look like a mud puddle while treating but it worked and was nothing a few PWC couldn't fix. I'll see if I can find the name and post it.

Ok, I have moved him to a hospital tank and went to my LFS. they recommended slowly raising the temp to 85 and treating him with API Pimafix. They were currently out of the ich attack and said to try this as it has worked in their personal experiences. Anyone ever used Pima fix on marine ich? Opinions? I would be lying if I said I wasn't a little nervous. They also suggested a freshwater dip but im afraid he's too frail.

I have done a lot of FW dips..i dip every new fish i get then QT them and preform Hypo...Never used any ich medications ,,so i can't help you there,,but i would seriously consider hypo for treatment

He's getting worse :( pretty much just laying there breathing heavily. I'm afraid if I try to start treatment I'll just stress him and kill him... Can anyone walk me through the steps of a freshwater dip? Do you think that will kill him if he's already this stressed?

Is he covered with it..?
A 1 minute FW or even 30 seconds should make a lot of the visible spots drop off...,but it may be too much for it to handle...I also think leaving it be will be a certain death ...
The water has to be same temp ,,,that is all i ever worried about...some say same PH too,,but for a quick dip i don't think it matters..when and if you do hypo it will..
Your going to have to use your own judgement ,,but a FW could give him some instant relief IMO

Yep he's pretty much covered. He was a lot worse this morning, some of it has disappeared but he is still very sick. I'm starting to think it's beyond a point of fixing him :( I will try the dip though and see if that will save him long enough for me to treat him further

I would just go ahead and dip him then,,,start at 30 seconds ..i would hold him in your hand and keep him upright .....Then put him back in the saltwater..If he looks OK ,,go for another 30 seconds in FW ..
Good luck ,,hope he is a fighter for you

Tried the dip and so far so good. He's still alive and a lot of it has fallen off, but hes still extremely stressed. Turning the lights out and will check on him tomorrow morning, hopefully he will make it :)

Tried the dip and so far so good. He's still alive and a lot of it has fallen off, but hes still extremely stressed. Turning the lights out and will check on him tomorrow morning, hopefully he will make it :)
Good,,thats a start...hope he's still kickin in the morning...

You should freshwater dip then quarantine. After the dip, it will be extremely stressed, causing the ich to come right back. Make sure it is eating food with garlic too.

I think the only way to evn keep white spot diseas in remorse is a U/V sterilizer.. Very strong little light that will kinda zap and keep control of the parasite.. Now thats IMO.. i still havenr picked up one and my queen angel is i think contracting a internal parasite.. Best luck to ya

I'm really amazed at how well the freshwater dip worked. He's still alive barely, but all the visible ich is gone just from two 30 second dips. Now how do I minimize stress so hopefully he can recover a little?

slitherbomb said:
You should freshwater dip then quarantine. After the dip, it will be extremely stressed, causing the ich to come right back. Make sure it is eating food with garlic too.

He is in QT now. Im not sure how I could get him to eat anything right now. Hes been laying on his side breathing heavily for a few hours

Hmm I'll have to go get the pellets tomorrow morning if he makes it through the night. Everyone keep your fingers crossed, this is my first major ich problem after 2 years of the hobby so thanks for all of the help! You guys have been good advice. I will update in the morning.

You can try Praxipro. Its more for worms but try it and you can treat it in your main ndisplay tank. I just treated my yellow tang with it for yellow tang disease, seems to be working and I have inverts and everything in my tank included feather dusters and everything is doing fine. Just follow the instructions and don't over dose it.

Personally ,i would not add any kind of medications ...
Sounds like he's recovering the best he can from the FW dips( you can do another if you see more spots)...i would put some nori or seaweed in though..
UV does kill ich ,,but only in one stage of its life..the free swimming stage,,and it has to pass directly through the light..not very efficient IMO...Ich has many stages that only a fallow tank will take care of..

I hope he pulls through,,it sounds promising

Back
Top Bottom