Best way to treat ich with inverts?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The ich can stay alive and dormant for up to 8 weeks so removal of the fish to treat is vital. The tank will sit fallow which will allow the ich to actually die off. In sw we dont' really gravel vac as it disturbs the sand bed. :)

Youre right in that the ich is in the tank, and not just on one fish. He cant use ich treatments because of the copper and most people have no luck in using the heat method in sw. It won't kill the ich and it will just re-emerge at a later time.

Ok, once again you answered my question before I could remember to ask it. LOL Since my cycle is about complete (0 Am, 0 Nitrite and 40 Nitrate) I did my first PWC last night. Because I had read the warning people post about moving live sand from tank to tank, I was wondering about vacuuming the sand. My FW days taught me it was a must. I guess I am going to have to retrain myself to keep the siphon away from the sand. :) Another thought occurred to me (a bit late I might add). Should I shut my filter and power heads down? When I start removing water the level gets below the discharge and I get a ton of bubbles. Not good right? Good thing I have no fish yet.

I turn everything off when I do my pwc's, freshwater and saltwater, makes life a lot easier. Sometimes I forget on the 125g cichlid tank but the fx5 alwasy reminds me when I do LOL.

You can skim the surface of your sand with the siphon, just don't go digging it around like you can do in FW. LOL :-D

Well thank you for all the help guys, but unfortunately he passed overnight. No more new fish for a while until I can treat the rest before they get to this point :( this hobby is so much fun but sometimes it can be so frustrating as well.

I`m sorry for your loss. I did not want to say anything after you did the dip but I`m totally against FW dips. I have never seen it do any good. It does not get all the parasites off anyway plus it stresses the fish out to the max.If it was me I would not do any more FW dips. They just dont accomplish much and most of the time kills the fish. Again sorry for your loss. Make sure you read those links I gave you the other day. It will help you to get an understanding on the parasite.

Sorry to hear that! Woke up to my angel dead also :/ sad day in the quatic world :/ dont give up i agree it is very gratifying hobby and a tottal downer when things arent working out

I'm sorry your fish didn't make it..I hope you don't think I gave you bad advice..

I FW dip every fish i get,,then QT them ..
A fish covered with ich would likely die any way...a FW dip IMO and many others is a good way to rid a lot of the parasite instantly ....

I don't think the FW dip is what did it, he was already too far gone to save is what I believe. I think he would have died regardless, so not a big deal. All of this ich made him severely ill and I never even noticed it until yesterday so something must have stressed him bad enough to where it just took over and killed him. It just wasnt meant to be :) just part of the hobby I suppose

So saltwater fish with ich can be freshwater dipped.. Does that mean freshwater fish can be dippef in saltwater??

Back
Top Bottom