Bicolor Blenny death - What did I do wrong?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rhetoric

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My tank was doing well and I decided to pickup a Bicolor Blenny Wednesday. I've got a Sixline and 4 Chromis in the tank now (as far as fish go).

I found him dead yesterday afternoon. I'm sure I screwed up somewhere so hopefully someone can tell me where so I won't do it again.

Tested Ammonia & Nitrite before getting him and both were 0.

Acclimated him for about an hour and 15 mins. Floated the bag and poured a quarter cup of my tank water in the bag every 5 mins for 45 mins or so. Poured out most of the water in the bag and continued pouring 1/4 cup in the bag for another 25 mins. Poured out most of the water and released the little guy.

He seemed ok last night after release. He appeared to be "breathing" hard but I thought he was just acclimating. He tried out a variety of holes in the rock and even swam around perching on the top of some rocks for awhile.

Yesterday morning, I found him peeking out of a hole. He seemed ok though I couldn't see most of him. He moved a few times back into the hole when he got scared.

Went to lunch and when I came back around 3pm, found his body on the bottom...

Did more tests since then:
Ammonia, Nitrite, & Nitrate are all 0.
PH is 8.0.
SG is 1.022

All my other fish are still fine. I noticed he was slightly discolored in spots but he definitely didn't look like that in the tank at the LFS.

Can anyone point me to where I may have gone wrong? Acclimation? Other tests I should run?

Thanks!

I like to do the drip acclimation for about 1+ hours for fish and 2+ for inverts. This gives me pelnty of time to do other things. I like to cover my bucket (mainly to keep the cats and dog out of the water), to give my new critters piece.
Acclimated him for about an hour and 15 mins. Floated the bag and poured a quarter cup of my tank water in the bag every 5 mins for 45 mins or so.
WOW, drip acclimation it waaay easier.
It may be that he was sick already, how long did the LFS have him, before you bought him? Was he eating at the LFS?

Really could have been a sick fish when he came home. It night be worth it to detrmine the PH and salinity level at the LFS. Comparing that to yours can determine how long or slow they need acclimation. Still didn't sound like you did out of wack.

I know the six-line likes to cruise the rock work and the blenny perches on it. Hopefully they didn't have any confrontation.

Another thought for others watching too.... never know when you might bring home a sick fish and potentially infect others (not saying this WILL happen to you). A QT tank to let fish sit in for 3-4 weeks can be a lifesaver - for both your nerves and pocket. Lots of folks get lucky, but if it happens to you once, you'll be a believer like me. :wink:

I didn't ask the guy at the LFS specifically about that sort of thing but he and I have a pretty good rapport. He has steered me away from fish in the store that were acting funny or coral that he was concerned about so I believe he would have told me if he saw a problem.

I think the LFS only had him about a week or two.

I've read about drip acclimation in the past but it sounded difficult to setup. Something about tying a small tube in a knot and draining water from the tank to the bag? Can you give me a quick idea as to how to do this?

Thanks for the response!

I think you could use a valve to cotrol the water. I use a twisty tie and bend the tube and use the tie to regulate the drip. Maybe next time, I will check into a valve and see how that works. Once I did it a few times, it became pretty easy.

austinsdad said:
I know the six-line likes to cruise the rock work and the blenny perches on it. Hopefully they didn't have any confrontation.

I hope not too. I had watched them for awhile though before that and they had encountered each other several times without giving one another a second glance...so I don't think that was the problem, though you never know I guess.

austinsdad said:
Another thought for others watching too.... never know when you might bring home a sick fish and potentially infect others (not saying this WILL happen to you). A QT tank to let fish sit in for 3-4 weeks can be a lifesaver - for both your nerves and pocket. Lots of folks get lucky, but if it happens to you once, you'll be a believer like me. :wink:

I have been reading this everywhere and sounds like something I really need to do. Is there a post or an article about how to setup a QT tank somewhere?

Thanks!

Simple QT. Heater/ph/lights/filter/PVCs for the fish to hide in. Also, it is recommended to get a refractometer, if hyposalinty will be used (in the case of ich) and some other problems. You have a 75G, you might want to shoot for a 20G, maybe a 30G if you have the money.

Check his out. I love mine. http://www.marinedepot.com/md_searchitem.asp

Check out our articles at the top of the page. I believe you'll find something there on QT tanks. I'd go for 20 or 29g (same footprint) and cheap flourescent lighting. HOB skimmer, bare bottom (with some cut pvc fo hiding), and powerhead or two.

Wanna drop by? I got a whole setup ready to go. 8) :wink:

Thanks for the tips and the pointer to the Articles section. I have a 10 gallon handy. You think it'd be ok to use until I can upgrade to a 20 or 30g?

Hey austinsdad, what search criteria did you use for the link? The link is taking me to a page that says I must enter search criteria.

Thanks again.

Oh I see, that didn't work too well.

Use "Acclimator".

The 10 would do far a fish at a time until you get the larger tank. More water changes in the 10g and watch those readings in it, but you'll be OK for a bit.

Hah! Funny you linked to this. I work at a vet hospital and I had just gone to the back to get an IV set that has a drip valve on it for IVs. I think it will be perfect and works exactly like the acclimator. The only thing it lacks is the nice plastic "hook" to the side of the tank. I'll rig something up though. Thanks!

Austinsdad, that thing is pretty cool. I assume, you pull the syringe to start the siphon and measure drips/sec that way? BTW, how many drips.sec do you do? I do about 7, I think I read that on saltwaterfish.com.

I have a 250 watt heater just laying around that I can use. I know this is overkill but it won't do any harm in the 10g right?

It might be, put it in and check the temp at different time of the day.

Is it possible to use your sump for quarantine? I have a 38g sump that has a 10g middle section that could be used. It is meant to be a refugium eventually but haven't done that yet. Can diseases be spread from the sump to fish in the display tank?

Is it possible to use your sump for quarantine?
I consider the sump/main the same "system". If one gets infected, so might the other. Unless you possibly use a UV sterilizer (but I wouldn't guarantee this).

Back
Top Bottom