big cyano problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MyCatsDrool

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I dosed erythromyacin today to get rid of it and have since read this might be bad. should i do a H2O change?

Thx

A mass die off of cyano (or any algae for that matter) can cause ammonia to spike. I'd remove as much as you can first manually and monitor water quality. If you go ahead and get rid of it now, much won't die off.

As with most other things, erythromycin is sorta getting rid of the cyano, but not the cause of it. So IF it comes back, it will be with a vengence, will have more than likely altered in some way, and will be harder to eradicate the second time around. That's why using antibiotics to get rid of it isn't reccomended.

So that said... :)

Have you tested for nitrate and phosphate? How much flow is in the tank, and is it reaching the areas that are being taken over by the cyano? How long are you lights on per day? What do you feed, and how often?

HTH

You should do water changes and run carbon to get the antibiotics out of the system as soon as possible. Antibiotics will kill the good bacteria as well as the cyano bacter and then your tank will be without biological filtration. Watch ammonia and nitrite levels.

Back
Top Bottom