Birds nest. Is that healthy coral?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

artur

Aquarium Advice Freak
I always want a birds nest but never saw it in any LFS in my area. Finally I found one. But now I'm concerned is that a right color or is it bleach. It is white but sometimes it looks pink. Any tips how to keep it healthy are welcome. thanks.

it's bleached, but you may be able to bring it back. proper parameters and good lighting is the key. start it low in the tank and work it up. remember, brown is better than white, so if it starts turning brown, it's actually doing better.
i'm not talking algae growing on it brown...i'm referring to the flesh on the coral itself.

Birdsnest is not considered an easy coral by any means, especially wild caught. I've had birdsnest do well under a variety of lighting including being thrown in the back of a display along with low to high flow. Basically, you will just have to experiment ime.

Birdsnest is not considered an easy coral by any means, especially wild caught. I've had birdsnest do well under a variety of lighting including being thrown in the back of a display along with low to high flow. Basically, you will just have to experiment ime.
Yes I know. I will try. I love this coral. My 125 is 4 months old. I upgraded from 90. 90 was 4 years old, and everything went to 125 exept sand. So no problems after upgrade. Did not lose enything, fishes or corals. I have 120 pounds of live rock. Everything looks healthy and grows, that is why I decided to try birdsnest coral. But like Mr.X said it is bleached. That is not a good news. I will do my best.

Still I'm not sure. It is really white but some times when only actinic bulbs are on it is pink...

I agree with MR X. Even though it`s supposed to be pink it should be a much darker pink. That one is quite pale and needs proper care.

I'll try my best. I'm only mad that they do not say enything in LFS about that. The price was high like for a healthy coral. I would buy it anyway but they should say something....

they paid the same for that coral as they would a healthy one. they don't get to see what they buy before hand. ultimately it would be best for you and the coral if they kept it until it was colored up and ready for sale, but i don't think that would be best for the bosses wallet.
also, many of the stores i have been to don't have the facility and/or ability to keep sps healthy. they just get it in in whatever condition, and hope it sells before it dies in their less than optimal systems.
it's just another sad truth in the hobby.

They are just trying to make money. For some of them it's just a job. If you want someone to say something about it, start with yourself. It possible they got it like that and think thats the way it's suppose to be.

Little story: I took my sister and her family to see Narnia 3-D over the holidays. At the end of the movie when the credits started to roll up the screen the music stopped. (I like to watch the credits and listen to the last song, helps cap the movie for me) Upon leaving I "complained" about the silent credits. The lady asked me to wait a minute, and returned with 7 free passes to a future 3-D movie, telling me it was a timing issue, and thanked me for being the first person that day to tell her.

They are just trying to make money. For some of them it's just a job. If you want someone to say something about it, start with yourself. It possible they got it like that and think thats the way it's suppose to be.

Little story: I took my sister and her family to see Narnia 3-D over the holidays. At the end of the movie when the credits started to roll up the screen the music stopped. (I like to watch the credits and listen to the last song, helps cap the movie for me) Upon leaving I "complained" about the silent credits. The lady asked me to wait a minute, and returned with 7 free passes to a future 3-D movie, telling me it was a timing issue, and thanked me for being the first person that day to tell her.
With me, reef tank is a hobby, I'm still learning. If it was my job to sell corals I would make sure to know what I'm selling. But that is just me, I want to know what I'm doing. But like you said for same peolpe it is just a job.

they paid the same for that coral as they would a healthy one. they don't get to see what they buy before hand. ultimately it would be best for you and the coral if they kept it until it was colored up and ready for sale, but i don't think that would be best for the bosses wallet.
also, many of the stores i have been to don't have the facility and/or ability to keep sps healthy. they just get it in in whatever condition, and hope it sells before it dies in their less than optimal systems.
it's just another sad truth in the hobby.
Yes, there is a lot off sadness in this hobby. You can see at the store people who week ago set a saltwater tank buying anemone or mandarin goby with just a couple live rock. Or buying corals when they do not even know what kind of lights they have.:(

Back
Top Bottom