Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 10-29-2010, 12:08 AM   #11
AA Team Emeritus
Originally Posted by Kurt_Nelson View Post
Ack!... I stand corrected on the health of that thing. But they *normally* will bleach out and die in the center and lower branches.

I'd suspect the leathers/softies. They don't need sweepers, it's a chemical thing. This isn't the first time I've heard of birdsnests disappearing really quick in tanks with softies present.
I was going to say the same. The proximity only matters if you didn't have a high rate of flow around them and the softies released a toxin of some sort. Them being close just means a more concentrated dose if the proper flow is lacking.

Links to old builds:
12DX LED Build
Frag Tank (Fixed Link)
Dorm Pico Tank
Jimbo7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 02:36 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict
Send a message via Yahoo to jcarlilesiu
This is probably one of the high flow areas of the tank. One of the korelia is pointed right at it, and another right above it. You can probably see it in the overall photo on the top left side.

Anyway... not trying to argue the cause, just was a very weird sequence of events. I have heard that SPS can be tough to keep with softies. Lessons learned.

jcarlilesiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 02:48 PM   #13
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award
Heavy skimming and lots of flow coupled with frequent PWCs and it's not an issue. I had leathers in my system from the get go and it was heavily SPS dominated.
Ziggy953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 10:23 PM   #14
I don't have leathers, never liked them, but have always heard that SPS will not do as well with leathers, but not that the SPS would actually die. I still think there was some stressor that triggered the RTN in this case.
Fishguy2727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 11:19 PM   #15
AA Team Emeritus
In the original post didn't the OP state he purchased new bulbs? I assume he replaced the halides and with a brighter white, possibly more Par depending on the bulb, and if so, probably cause.

Birdsnests are not considered hardy (wild caught) unless captive raised.

Innovator is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com