black spike urchin turning white on me

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fish geek

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
my black spike sea urchin's spines are changing. portions of some of the spines are turning white.i have had this urchin for maybe a month now and since then he has grown alot. is this normal or is something wrong please help

thx nick

p.s. started noticing change 3 days ago and water tests r great

fish geek said:
p.s. started noticing change 3 days ago and water tests r great
Could you post the test results? As well as anything new/changed/added within the last week.

Do you know the proper species of urchin? Might be a morph. Depending on what's in your tank, it might also be an indication it's not getting the proper nutrition. Any loss of quills?

Cheers
Steve

actually i did a water change about a week ago for the first time. my water tests r ammonia 0 nitrate 0 ph 8.4 salinity 1.023 calcium 440 and no it hasn't lost any quills. i really don't know the specific name of the urchin. i added a long nose hawkfish 3days ago but i don't think that has anything to do with it.

Does it look like this?
If so, you might want to target feed it. I give mine a small piece of nori 2 times a week. It may not be getting enough. This may help.

Nori is seaweed used to wrap sushi in. Any Oriental food store and some grocery stores should have it. Even you local lfs may stock it.

I just get a small piece wet and fold it over. I give is to him with my tongs or by hand if he's close. He just grabs it and pulls it to his mouth. Watch for a couple minutes to make sure he doesn't lose it.

Back
Top Bottom