Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-19-2003, 04:41 PM   #1
cj10488

Black Spot Disease HELP please

Ok so I have had my Perculas in my tank now for about 4 weeks.. Last night I added a Bubble Coral and today I noticed a black spot near the fin on each of my clownfish.. I did some research and found that it might be black spot disease and the cure for the most part is FW dip for 3-5 mins.. So i made up a bath of RO/DI and adjusted temp and ph to match the tank.. I put both clowns in there and within 30secs of being in there both the black spots fell to the bottom of the bucket.. I pulled the fish out after noticing this and placed them back into the tank.. Curious as I am I pulled the black spots out of the bucket and examined them.. I placed them on a white book and looked closely.. They seem to be some sort of snail or something.. They are crawling across the book... I would take pictures but these things are the size of a ball point pen tip.. Is this in fact Black Spot??? If so did I catch this in time since there was only one spot on each of the clowns??? For Follow up should I just keep a close Eye on the fish in the main tank... I only have 2 perculas in the tank and a yellow tail damsel.. Naso Tang in QT.. Please advise..

TIA,
James
Old 09-19-2003, 08:14 PM   #2
steve-s

Black spot disease is actually a turbellarian flatworm that could have been introduced from one of your corals. Once in the tank it's pretty much the same as regular ich, you need to leave the tank fishless for a good 6 weeks in this case. Dips are pretty much the best solution unless heavily infested they might require formalin. In your case though it doesn't sound like it.

Once dipped, place the fish in QT to ensure it does not become re-infrected. You should also set up the QT from scratch unless you are willing to go through the hassles of treating the QT as well if any parasites are transfered over. If the QT does not use anything from the main tank (filter media, water etc.) you should have less worries of cross contamination. There is nothing you can do to treat the main tank except time.

Cheers
Steve
Old 09-21-2003, 11:41 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

dont most people use foam filters for their qt ??? which normally sit in their sumps till needed for qt?? if its done from scratch thats would be used to filter the water ??? or am i missing something
Old 09-21-2003, 01:58 PM   #4
steve-s

The problem with this particular pest, is it inhabits the substrate and other hard surfaces to multiply much like ich but they are actual eggs and not cell divided like ich.

When using anything from the main tank you will also need to treat the QT for the parasite. If that is the case, hyposalinity can be just as effective against them. The reason I was suggesting the dip and then into the QT was in most cases if mild, that is all that will be needed. Avoiding the use of substances from the main tank would avoid possible futher treatments.

If you wish to use the water from the main tank and a pre-seeded sponge filter, then skip the dip and just QT using hyposalinity. Either way though, you do need something for filtration and a simple sponge filter would be the easiest solution. If you have a spare HOB or canister, they can aslo be used.

Cheers
Steve
Old 09-21-2003, 02:09 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

would the flat worms by chance live in on the foam filter if that was to be used ?? just curious about that as well as after ya treat the qt tank with copper or what not isnt it pretty much shot to put back into the sump of the display??
Old 09-21-2003, 02:32 PM   #6
steve-s

Quote:
Originally Posted by scuba_steve
would the flat worms by chance live in on the foam filter if that was to be used ??
Yes, it is possible that the flatworms would migrate to this filter.

Quote:
just curious about that as well as after ya treat the qt tank with copper or what not isnt it pretty much shot to put back into the sump of the display??
That is why I will normally suggest hyposalinity. It does not have the same restrictive after affects as copper and will allow the user to continue pre-seeding it prior to each use. If copper is ever used with the QT, that option will not be available again.

Cheers
Steve

Tags
black spot, disease, spot

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com