Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-21-2004, 12:02 PM   #11
steve-s

You will probably need to do several water changes over the next few weeks but you should see some results soon. If the whitish area's around the gill area are HLLE or scaring from it, that will take much longer to heal. The Selcon will definately help with that though.

If things do not improve, be sure to post back.

Good Luck!
Cheers
Steve
Old 05-21-2004, 12:04 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Thanks Steve - How big of a water change should I do at a time? I am going to create some make up water, and let it sit for 24 hours.

Mike

Old 05-21-2004, 12:07 PM   #13
steve-s

I would suggest 20-25% for the first and possibley 15-20% every few days for the next two weeks. Once the nutrient is reduced, any bacterial problems should subside much faster with the lack of available food. Once the tang has some extra vitamins in the foods (Selcon), it should be able to fight the rest on it's own.

Cheers
Steve
Old 05-21-2004, 12:12 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Thanks again for all your help on this Steve. I love my Tang, and don't want to lose him if I can help it. These fish are so sensitive to their environment, but they are one of the most beautiful fish on the market.
Old 05-27-2004, 12:05 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Hello Steve. It has been about a week now, and there have been signs of improvement on my Tang. I have been doing water changes, and soaking the food in Selcon daily, and garlic extract about every few days. The red blotches are starting to go away, and he is still eating well. I also noticed that the Ph was around 7.9, so I brought it up to 8.2 and he is swimming around more happily now. Could this have been the culprit all along? Maybe it dropped and went un-detected? Not sure..
Thanks again for your help with this. This is a life learing hobby, and I really like this site. It has valuable information in it.

Mike
Old 05-27-2004, 12:11 PM   #16
steve-s

Yes, large sustained drops in pH can cause the same red splotch's. In either event, the water changes will usually fix both problems. Might want to look into the set up of the tank as well. If the tank has a solid lid and insufficient water flow, you will continue to have pH issues.

Glad to hear things are looking better.

Cheers
Steve
Old 05-27-2004, 12:16 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

I have glass coverings with a canopy on the top. I also purchased an additional Power head, which should be here on Friday, to move more water on the surface of the tank. This should help get the Ph more stable, right?

Mike
Old 05-27-2004, 12:18 PM   #18
steve-s

I would also suggest replacing the glass top with eggcrate material. Even with the added water flow, the glass lid traps too much CO2 which will supress the pH. Free air flow combined with water flow is the key.

Cheers
Steve
Old 05-27-2004, 12:20 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

Ok, thanks for the advice. I do have 2 flaps that open on the glass top. Maybe I can just leave those open. If that doesn't work, I will buy some egg crates to replace them with. Thanks again for your help!

Mike
Old 06-01-2004, 04:36 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

Hi Steve - I took your advice and opened up the glass tops on the tank so the oxygen levels would be better. I also have a couple of power heads closer to the surface to break up all that dead algae. Within a few days, my Tang is looking 90% better already. I think this problem led to a Ph problem all along. Thanks for the great advice!

Mike

Tags
black spot, ich, spot

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com