Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-20-2004, 04:48 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Black Spot/ich..not sure

Hello everyone,

I have had a Yellow Tang now for about a month. I noticed he was scratching himself against the rocks, so I wanted to get a closer look. On his face, there appears to be black dots, almost like pimples. I will try to get a picture of it and submit, but in the meantime, is this a form of ich, or is it blackspot disease? The Tang is eating just fine, and is very active. Anything you all could suggest would be great. Thanks,

Mike

Old 05-20-2004, 05:27 PM   #2
steve-s

Try to get the pic. It could be tubellarian worms. Easy enough to treat but the fallow period on the main tank is usually much longer.

Cheers
Steve
Old 05-21-2004, 01:29 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Steve - I have the pictures, along with a 15 second movie clip of the Tang. I tried to send them here, but it has a 100KB limit..these are 133K since its 1024/768 for good quality. Let me know what your email adress is and I will mail them to you. Thanks for your help.

Mike
Old 05-21-2004, 01:53 AM   #4
steve-s

my username @aquariumadvice.com

Cheers
Steve
Old 05-21-2004, 01:59 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via Yahoo to OhTheHumanity
My tang had it too. Following advice from here, I did a fresh water dip. Close to 10 minutes he/she did fine (though I wouldn't reccomend that long). There were a couple left on him. I had to put it back into the main tank for the night so I could get the QT set up the next day.

That morning they were all gone, so I thought I'd keep a close eye for a few days. About 4 days later a few more popped up on him. They were there for 2 days then gone. That was about 2 months ago and they have not returned.

I can't remember who it was on here that told me they did a FW dip and they didn't return either. Well thats 2 times it's worked. I don't know if that really means anything, or we just got lucky.
Old 05-21-2004, 02:04 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

For some reason I get return receipts when I try to send it to you. I also so noticed you had an address on your website, so I sent them there as well..that one seemed to work. Let me know if you get them. Thanks

Mike
Old 05-21-2004, 02:16 AM   #7
steve-s

Doesn't look like ich or tubelllarians. Looks more like the onset of HLLE combined with a mild bacterial infection. The circled area's show a slightly pinkish hue. It is usually brought on by sudden drops/changes in pH or bacterial. The black you are seeing around the back and lower area of the eye are not from a parasite.

The easiest way to deal with this is do several large water changes with well aged SW. Make sure it is mixed for at least 24 hrs and the pH, alk, temp and salinity are the same as the tanks. Higher DOC and other nutrient are typically the cause.

How new is the tank and what are you feeding?

Cheers
Steve
Old 05-21-2004, 02:36 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

The tank is now about 3 months old. I will prepare some water for the change in the meantime. I also ordered some garlic juice, and solcon?? I can't remember what it was called. Do you think this will help as well?
Also, I originally started out using tap water, but then moved over to an RO/DI system to eliminate problems. Could the change have an effect on the Tang as well?

Thanks for your input,
Mike
Old 05-21-2004, 11:22 AM   #9
steve-s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salttanker
I also ordered some garlic juice, and solcon?? I can't remember what it was called. Do you think this will help as well?
The Selcon will definately help and the garlic won't hurt either. What actual foods are you using though? Tangs need to be fed foods high in spurlina content. Be sure to follow the directions but I wouldn't use the garlic extract more than weekly. Rely moreso on the Selcon.

Quote:
Also, I originally started out using tap water, but then moved over to an RO/DI system to eliminate problems. Could the change have an effect on the Tang as well?
If the tap water was treated with a conditioner it should be okay, without knowing the cities water analysis I couldn't be specific. The water changes and the vitamins you have ordered will help though...

Cheers
Steve
Old 05-21-2004, 11:58 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

I use a mixture of flakes, formula 1, and seaweed. I will plan on doing some water changes tonight. Thanks for your help,

Mike

Tags
black spot, ich, spot

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com