black spots on clown

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

melissfish

Aquarium Advice Activist
my clarkii clown seems to be turning black. It started as a little patch, now he is almost all black (except his stripes) and his fins and tail have black spots. The dominant clown is not affected, only this one which is the weaker of the pair, is this normal.

It can depend on what they are hosting in if anything. Melanism can be caused by many things including diet, , environment and reaction to coral/anemone chemicals. It's not always a bad thing and can actually be more common to the male in a mated pair from what I have seen. That's not to suggest the female will remain the same though, it can happen to her as a well.

What do you feed the fish primarily and how's the water specs?

Cheers
Steve

Live brine is fine but I would find an alternative to the frozen brine. Not much if any nutritional value there unless fortified. Mysis or the like would be a better option. You can also get away with only feeding one type of food daily. Both are not needed and may end up adding to water quality issues. Just be sure if you continue both are done in small amounts.

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom