Black Spots on Clownfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

all4wheels2

Aquarium Advice Freak
I've gone through a few threads and can't really find an answer.

I've had these clownfish for a few months now. I've noticed these spots appearing on my onyx clownfish fins a few days ago. Only one clownfish has the spots. Nothing has changed in my tank within the past few months (well, I did add a saltwater fern plant).

I have read about Hyper-Melaninization, but I do not have any corals or invertebrates in my tank that sting. The only thing I've noticed is that my clowns tend to sleep on the sandbed at night. Sorry about the poor quality pic, but she wouldn't hold still.

Should I be concerned?

Attachments

• DSCN0621.jpg
    DSCN0621.jpg
    249.7 KB · Views: 251
I've gone through a few threads and can't really find an answer.

I've had these clownfish for a few months now. I've noticed these spots appearing on my onyx clownfish fins a few days ago. Only one clownfish has the spots. Nothing has changed in my tank within the past few months (well, I did add a saltwater fern plant).

I have read about Hyper-Melaninization, but I do not have any corals or invertebrates in my tank that sting. The only thing I've noticed is that my clowns tend to sleep on the sandbed at night. Sorry about the poor quality pic, but she wouldn't hold still.

Should I be concerned?

I can't really tell from the picture but....
You need to determine if the spots are on the skin or in the skin. If they are IN the skin, they most likely are nothing more than a coloration change and nothing to be concerned about.
If they are ON the skin, you might have a parasite that is the equivilent of Ick only with black parasites instead of white. The best treatment for this is a fresh water dip followed with a quarentine period with a copper based med like coppersafe or coppper sulphate.
The difference should be obvious but the best way to check is from overhead. You'd be able to see the protrusions better if these are ON the skin from this angle.

Hope this helps...(y)

Im no expert on fish because im a beginner, but have you checked the ammonia levels? Sometimes fish can get ammonia burns that show up as black spots

My ammonia was good. I sold these fish. It was just a pigmentation change. She turned out to be fine.

Back
Top Bottom