Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-13-2003, 11:52 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Regular

Sorry for all the confusions. The black tang is not for my current tank but I would like to find out for someone since many has said that black tang is very sensitive.
As for my tank, I keep my filtration rate at about 18 times my tank volume and my flow rate (inclusive of my filtration flow) to be around 35 times. I've 2 SCWD installed which eliminates dead spots in front and behind the tank and also to prevent a "whirlpool".
I've my fishes for about 5 months now and they're very healthy. I understand I've overstocked and I'm thinking of reducing my stock by passing some to my brother.

Old 11-14-2003, 12:11 AM   #12
steve-s

Quote:
Originally Posted by birman
I understand I've overstocked and I'm thinking of reducing my stock by passing some to my brother.
Excellent news...

Sorry for the "passionate" posts that followed but as you can see, we all care about the animals we keep and am glad you do as well.

As for the black tang if are you refering to the Zebrasoma rostratum they are not hard to keep but rather hard to acclimate to aquarium life. The problem with this one is they are increadibley susceptible to parasitic problems as well as viral diseases and will often need treatment once they are acclimated to a QT. They can also be quite difficult to feed as they can/will stop eating due to stress which makes it doubley hard as they will need natural grazing foods that only an well matured reef tank can offer. In all honesty, this is one fish that should definately stay in the reefs.

Cheers
Steve
Old 11-14-2003, 01:06 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve-s

As for the black tang if are you refering to the Zebrasoma rostratum they are not hard to keep but rather hard to acclimate to aquarium life. The problem with this one is they are increadibley susceptible to parasitic problems as well as viral diseases and will often need treatment once they are acclimated to a QT. They can also be quite difficult to feed as they can/will stop eating due to stress which makes it doubley hard as they will need natural grazing foods that only an well matured reef tank can offer. In all honesty, this is one fish that should definately stay in the reefs.

Cheers
Steve
I have to disagree with you steve. I'm not sure where you got this information, but my personal experience along with everything I've ever read on the species tends to point towards them being every bit as hardy as all the other fish in the Zebrasoma genus. The two I have had personal experience with accepted all foods offered quite readily, never had any parasite problems, have grown quite rapidly, and are still healthy and happy to this day. Aside from the price tag and the unusually long snout, these fish are no harder or easier to care for than a Z. scopas. As with any surgeonfish, appropriate swimming room along with a varied diet including a large portion of marine plant matter are a must. Mine is extremely docile and personable, and is by far one of my favorite fish.
Old 11-14-2003, 10:03 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Freak

From everything I have read on these fish they are difficult to Keep. I was also looking into getting one of these.
What size tank would this tang be going into?

Kaye
Old 11-14-2003, 10:28 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Freak

I also found this hope it helps....

http://liveaquaria.com/product/prod_...=21&pCatId=325

Kaye
Old 11-14-2003, 11:24 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Freak

Im in aah, speechless, and confused??? Please let us in on your seceret. By the why beautiful tank....
Old 11-14-2003, 03:09 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via MSN to possum Send a message via Yahoo to possum
Quote:
Originally Posted by specialk
I also found this hope it helps....

http://liveaquaria.com/product/prod_...=21&pCatId=325

Kaye
That link is for an achilles tang which is hard to keep but i dont think that is the tang everyone else is talking about......
Old 11-14-2003, 03:12 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

Holly!!!!!! 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O Ive got ONE Purple Tang in my 55 and he has already out grown it...
Old 11-14-2003, 06:56 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Regular

I've read that black tangs don't ship very well, and it is better if you can find them locally. Also, they are pricey.

http://www.reeffrontiers.com
NaH2O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2003, 08:12 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Freak

Black Longnose Tang - Zebrasoma rostratum

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/p...fm?pCatId=326&cc=1

also

http://www.marinedepotlive.com/753494.html

Tags
tan, tang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com