Black tang

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

birman

Aquarium Advice Regular
Thinking of getting a black tang. Anyone has experience with this fish? It seems to be very sensitive.

I s this an accurate list of what is already in you 55 gal tank :?:

birman said:
2 x juvenile yellow tangs 2 x juvenile blue tang 2 x yellow belly damsel 1 x neon damsel 2 x flame angels 2 x blue damsels 2 x yellow gobies 2 x yellow-tail blue damsels 1 x sunrise dottyback 6 x percula clowns 1 x tomato clown

Cheers
Steve

2 x juvenile yellow tangs 2 x juvenile blue tang 2 x yellow belly damsel 1 x neon damsel 2 x flame angels 2 x blue damsels 2 x yellow gobies 2 x yellow-tail blue damsels 1 x sunrise dottyback 6 x percula clowns 1 x tomato clown

8O 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O

That's like 42" of fish

Look at his gallery, he has a picture of the tank with all the fish. Surprisingly, they all look healthy. He must have added all of them in one day and taken the picture or is doing some crazy filtration like daily water changes (all of it).

Tell us the story so we can stop wondering!

I don't believe it. How is that possible? Forget the laws of physics....he's got more fish in there than could probably be in a tank almost 4 times that size...

BIRMAN ... you do realize that fish get BIGGER with time, yes?

its really gonna be hell once those tangs start getting bigger and fighting too.......

Sorry for all the confusions. The black tang is not for my current tank but I would like to find out for someone since many has said that black tang is very sensitive.
As for my tank, I keep my filtration rate at about 18 times my tank volume and my flow rate (inclusive of my filtration flow) to be around 35 times. I've 2 SCWD installed which eliminates dead spots in front and behind the tank and also to prevent a "whirlpool".
I've my fishes for about 5 months now and they're very healthy. I understand I've overstocked and I'm thinking of reducing my stock by passing some to my brother.

birman said:
I understand I've overstocked and I'm thinking of reducing my stock by passing some to my brother.
Excellent news... (y)

Sorry for the "passionate" posts that followed but as you can see, we all care about the animals we keep and am glad you do as well.

As for the black tang if are you refering to the Zebrasoma rostratum they are not hard to keep but rather hard to acclimate to aquarium life. The problem with this one is they are increadibley susceptible to parasitic problems as well as viral diseases and will often need treatment once they are acclimated to a QT. They can also be quite difficult to feed as they can/will stop eating due to stress which makes it doubley hard as they will need natural grazing foods that only an well matured reef tank can offer. In all honesty, this is one fish that should definately stay in the reefs.

Cheers
Steve

steve-s said:
As for the black tang if are you refering to the Zebrasoma rostratum they are not hard to keep but rather hard to acclimate to aquarium life. The problem with this one is they are increadibley susceptible to parasitic problems as well as viral diseases and will often need treatment once they are acclimated to a QT. They can also be quite difficult to feed as they can/will stop eating due to stress which makes it doubley hard as they will need natural grazing foods that only an well matured reef tank can offer. In all honesty, this is one fish that should definately stay in the reefs.

Cheers
Steve

I have to disagree with you steve. I'm not sure where you got this information, but my personal experience along with everything I've ever read on the species tends to point towards them being every bit as hardy as all the other fish in the Zebrasoma genus. The two I have had personal experience with accepted all foods offered quite readily, never had any parasite problems, have grown quite rapidly, and are still healthy and happy to this day. Aside from the price tag and the unusually long snout, these fish are no harder or easier to care for than a Z. scopas. As with any surgeonfish, appropriate swimming room along with a varied diet including a large portion of marine plant matter are a must. Mine is extremely docile and personable, and is by far one of my favorite fish. :D

From everything I have read on these fish they are difficult to Keep. I was also looking into getting one of these.
What size tank would this tang be going into?

Kaye

Im in aah, speechless, and confused??? Please let us in on your seceret. By the why beautiful tank....

I've read that black tangs don't ship very well, and it is better if you can find them locally. Also, they are pricey.

Back
Top Bottom